"Sources comment that the knowledgeable and approachable David Sahr is a 'prominent expert in banking and securities law.'"Chambers Global 2014
David Sahr advises domestic and foreign financial institutions on establishing and expanding their operations in the United States as well as on related regulatory, enforcement and compliance matters. He represents banks and their affiliates before federal and state agencies, including the Federal Reserve Board, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and the Securities and Exchange Commission. He assists financial institutions in the development and sale of new products including compliance with state and federal banking, securities and commodities laws. David also advises and represents foreign banks on federal legislative developments affecting their US banking and non-banking operations.
David has worked closely with banks and trade associations on the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (Dodd-Frank). He has advised numerous clients on their response to the regulatory implementation of Dodd-Frank, including drafting comment letters on new capital rules, the Volcker Rule and new derivatives regulations.
David is also advising several foreign and US banks on their implementation of the full gamut of the requirements of Dodd-Frank. For example, he has provided in depth advice with respect to the prohibition on proprietary trading and on sponsorship of and investment in covered funds by banking entities (the Volcker Rule) and the regulation of OTC derivatives. Chambers USA 2011 noted David’s work “advising a number of foreign lenders and other financial services entities on Dodd-Frank compliance,” and according to Chambers USA 2012, “[h]e is widely admired by peers and clients alike, who highlight him as being ‘very responsive and extremely well informed.’”
- Represented a foreign bank in the establishment of a US bank subsidiary including obtaining regulatory approvals from the chartering authority, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.
- Represented a foreign bank in acquiring a US energy trader including obtaining approval of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System for authority to engage in activities that are “complementary” to activities that are financial in nature.
- Represented a foreign bank in complying with banking, securities and other laws in connection with the development and sale of complex financial products and structures.
- Represented foreign and domestic banks in complying with Bank Secrecy Act requirements and in responding to enforcement actions brought by federal banking agencies.
- Represented several foreign banks in establishing branches, agencies and representative offices in the United States.
Georgetown University Law Center, JD, magna cum laude
The London School of Economics and Political Science, MS
Georgetown University, BS, magna cum laude
Inscriptions au Barreau
- District of Columbia
- David Sahr is praised by clients for his "commercial application of the relevant regulations" (Legal 500 2016).
- "Sources comment that the knowledgeable and approachable David Sahr is a 'prominent expert in banking and securities law.'" Chambers Global 2014.