Liang Pu is counsel in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice in London and a member of the Firm's Global Investigations & White Collar Defense group. She advises clients on contentious and non-contentious matters with a particular focus on investigations, regulatory compliance, governance and enforcement matters. Her practice includes risk assessments, third-party management, transaction due diligence, remediation and integration, liaison and settlement with government agencies, establishment or enhancement of internal compliance programmes, and designing and providing compliance training. Liang's commercial litigation experience includes disputes concerning fraud, corporate and shareholders' disputes, directors' duties, enforcement of foreign judgments and contractual claims. She has also advised bank creditors, Provisional Liquidators and Liquidators in multi-jurisdictional restructurings and insolvencies.
Liang works with clients from a variety of industry sectors including banking and finance, healthcare and pharma, oil and gas, construction and infrastructure, manufacturing, technology, real estate, transportation, consumer goods, professional services, hospitality and gaming, and education.
Prior to relocating to London, Liang has worked at the Firm's offices in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Chicago and Washington DC. Liang's experience includes in-house secondments at major global banks (monitorship and internal control remediation), an international insurer (internal fraud investigation) and a large multinational manufacturing and export group (general commercial and litigations).
Liang speaks English, Mandarin, Cantonese and Shanghainese.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a leading US multinational conglomerate in relation to bribery related allegations involving the use of third-party intermediaries in its healthcare and medical devices operations in China; involving an extensive review of documentation and interview of witnesses over a significantly long period of time focusing on (1) the evaluation of activities that occurred; (2) the accuracy of books and records; (3) the adequacy of internal controls; (4) the consideration of remedial measures; (5) the risks relating to potential violations of the FCPA and Chinese law. Advised on and represented client in reporting and responding to the US DOJ and SEC; conducting compliance review and remediation .
- Acted for a home-collected credit provider in FCA's s166 Skilled Person Review and redress exercise.
- Represented an international investment bank’s staff in an investigation by the Hong Kong Independent Commission Against Corruption concerning the bank's hiring program in connection with a separate US FCPA probe.
- Led an internal investigation for a clean energy corporation in relation to its subsidiary's operations and dealings with third party contractors in China as reported by a whistle-blower.
- Acted for one of the world's largest developers of integrated resorts in US DOJ and SEC investigations concerning operations in Macau and assisted in the related resolution with the SEC.
- Assisted a large US gaming group in its internal investigation concerning alleged political donations in Japan.
- Led an internal investigation for a global gaming and hospitality group concerning potential junket activities in Singapore.
- Represented a prominent hotel group owner in reviewing and reporting suspected bribery issues to the enforcement authorities in HK.
- Managed a team of over 20 lawyers in performing e-discovery in Macau under an extremely tight timeline in relation to US civil litigation involving corruption allegations against a gaming and hospitality group
- Assisted in an internal investigation involving various allegations including sexual harassment, misconduct and discrimination made by an ex-employee of a major US Navy ship contractor.
- Assisted an international insurance group in its internal fraud investigation.
- Designed, developed and advised on internal ABC compliance and ethical policies/procedures, training programs, risk assessments matrix and remediation plans for large multi-national organisations in Asia and the US.
- Acted for a global bank in respect of its compliance monitorship mandated by UK and US authorities concerning financial crimes-related issues including AML and Sanctions, including led a team of over 20 lawyers as the legal project manager in China.
- Advised multiple MNCs including financial institutions, private equities, medical devices manufacturers, real estate and hotel groups, manufacturing and global trading conglomerates and a food and beverage company, as well as a government owned technology management company and several public universities, on compliance with domestic and international ABC laws, including FCPA and the UK Bribery Act and AML laws.
- Assisted a global bank in its remediation project in response to a HIBOR related regulatory review by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority, worked with the senior management to reinforce corporate governance and restructured the bank's internal control framework.
Due Diligence and Advisory
- Designed and conducted ABC due diligence reviews in M&A and financing transactions and on third-party intermediaries for funds, MNCs in the pharmaceutical, oil and gas, construction and infrastructure, heavy machinery, consumer goods and retail, real estate, shipping and manufacturing industries; analysed risk exposure and advised on remediation and integration.
- Advised on and structured transactions, and negotiated and drafted commercial contracts (including sale and purchase agreements, joint-venture agreements, commercial leases, service agreements, collaboration agreements and settlement agreements), to comply with legal and regulatory ABC requirements.
- Advised banks and corporations on cross-border money laundering and sanctions related issues involving local enforcement agencies.
- Advised multi-jurisdictional pharmaceutical and medical devices companies in relation to their sponsorship programs in Asia.
- Advised on data privacy, state secrets and "blocking statutes" related issues in connection with internal and government investigations in China.
Commercial litigation, arbitration and restructuring / insolvency
- Advised on general commercial disputes and litigation proceedings involving fraud, corporate and shareholders' disputes, directors' duties and enforcement of foreign judgments. Also acted in proceedings involving injunctive and interim measures.
- Acted for a witness in HK proceedings and successfully set aside an order to give effect to a letter of request, issued by the Administrative Law Judge on behalf of the US Federal Reserve Board regarding administrative enforcement proceedings in the US. The decision sets a precedent for the HK court in this regard.
- Advised on debt recovery proceedings for casinos involving enforcement in foreign jurisdictions.
- Acted for a Hong Kong developer in HKIAC administered arbitration concerning property development projects disputes in Mainland China.
- Advised the provisional liquidators on matters arising in the administration of Hong Kong listed companies and subsidiaries, including issues concerning the validity of security interests, the restructuring of the group companies and resumption process. Advised on the resumption of trading in Hong Kong listed shares including the preparation and negotiation of restructuring documents, creditors' scheme of arrangement, security documents and restructuring circular and announcements. Liaised with offshore legal advisor in parallel proceedings. Also advised the scheme administrators on issues arising in the distribution of dividends to scheme creditors.
- Advised multi-bank creditors on issues arising in the complex restructuring and inter-creditors arrangements in relation to an international apparel manufacturing and trading group, in particular enforcement issues, realisation of assets onshore and offshore, distribution of proceeds and appointment of receivers. Also assisted in the negotiation and the documentation of sale of group assets to a new investor and the settlement arrangements.
- Advised the scheme administrators and assisted in preparing documentation concerning the disposal of the scheme assets.
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
The London School of Economics and Political Science, MSc, Law and Accounting
The London School of Economics and Political Science, LLB
Inscription au Barreau
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong
- Listed as a key lawyer for Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime. The London-based team was strengthened in October 2021 with the transfer of counsel Liang Pu, who brings significant Chinese law expertise and experience in global bribery proceedings, from the firm’s Hong Kong office