Eric is a trusted advisor to his clients, offering “incredibly in-depth knowledge about market standards and evolving transaction structures.”Chambers Global
Eric Pogue is a partner in Mayer Brown's New York office and a member of the Projects & Infrastructure group. Eric's practice focuses on renewable energy transactions. Eric has received numerous accolades for his work, including being named to the American Lawyers inaugural list of Northeast Trailblazers in 2022 and ranked Band 1 by Chambers USA (Projects: Renewables & Alternative Energy – Nationwide). Chambers USA noted Eric “expertly represents renewables sector clients on the development, financing, acquisition and sale of single projects or portfolios" and cited praise for Eric as "an expert at translating complex matters into direct commercial outcomes."
With over two decades of experience in the energy sector, Eric has represented clients in the development, financing and acquisition of a variety of asset types (including solar, on- and off-shore wind, carbon capture, nuclear, hydro, biomass, gas, coal, transmission facilities, water utilities and data centers), utilizing a variety of transaction structures, including energy M&A, debt finance, tax equity, DOE loan guarantees and export-credit agency finance. Eric has worked on a multitude of complex and high-dollar value project finance transactions, including the financing of the Athos 3 (313MW solar plus battery storage project) which was part of a portfolio of transactions awarded Proximo and Project Finance International deal of the year honors.
Prior to joining the firm, Eric represented clients on transactional energy matters as partner at a leading international law firm. In addition, prior to entering private practice, Eric was a project manager at the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Represented parties acquiring and divesting various energy assets on both a single project and portfolio basis, including:
- Represent Duke Energy in the sale of a minority interest in a multi-billion dollar portfolio of operating wind, solar and battery projects;
- Represent an investor with respect to its acquisition of an interest in a portfolio of 25 operating wind projects across the U.S., including related partnership and financing matters;
- Represent a utility acquiring, and simultaneously tax equity financing, a portfolio of distributed generation fuel cell projects;
- Represent a Spanish investor acquiring a portfolio of 19 operating, U.S. solar projects; and
- Represent a private equity investor with respect to the sell-down off its entire solar portfolio in a series of third-party transactions.
Represented project developers, lenders, strategic and tax equity investors with respect to the development and financing of utility scale solar projects utilizing a variety of structures, including partnership flip, sale-leasebacks and back-leverage financings. Transactions include:
- Aktina Solar; Athos III; California Flats 1 and 2; Camp Solar; Cuyama Solar; Cleanlight Solar; Central Rosamond; Elara Solar; Energix VA Portfolio I and II; Galloway Solar; Hickory Solar; Lapetus Solar; Luciana Solar; Muscle Shoals; Oberon II; Palmer Solar; Pamplin Solar; Prospero Solar; Rives Roads; Rosamond Solar; Shakes Solar; Shoreham Solar Commons; Simon Solar Farm; Switch Solar 1 and 2; and Titan Solar.
Represented sponsors, lenders and investors with respect to the development and financing (including tax equity) of windpower projects on both a single project and portfolio basis. Transactions include:
- Centennial I and II; Fluvanna; Frontier Wind II; Javelina; Gearbox Portfolio; Grant County Wind; Great Western; Ledyard Wind; Lindahl; Limon 3; Magic Valley; Mammoth Plains; Maryneal Wind; Mesteno; Red River Portfolio; Stephens Ranch I and II; Sunflower and Thunder Ranch.
Represented project developers / sponsors, lenders and tax equity investors with respect to a number of distributed generation financings. Transactions include portfolios across the U.S. developed by:
- DSD; Duke (REC Solar), Eastlight Renewables, ENGIE, Greenbacker (Socore) Longroad, Navisun and NRG Renewables.
Represented tax equity investors with respect to a number of residential solar portfolio transactions, including portfolios across the U.S., developed by:
- Exelon (including Constellation); Standard Solar, SunEdison, SunPower, Tesla (including SolarCity) and Vivint
Represented clients on a variety of other commercial transactions, including
- Represented a private equity client with respect to acquisition financing and related matters for a portfolio of water utility assets.
- Represented DTE Energy Services in the acquisition of an interest in, as well as with respect to structuring, financing and operational matters related to, a California power plant being converted to a biomass-fired facility.
- Represent a private equity firm in the purchase and subsequent resale of two hydropower projects, including related FERC approvals.
- Represent a developer with respect to structuring, development, financing, construction, and operational matters related to planned new nuclear power projects, including preparation of a loan guarantee application pursuant to the Energy Policy Act of 2005, and a related export credit agency construction financing.
- Represent an owner with respect to structuring, development, financing, construction and operational matters for a uranium enrichment facility, including preparation of a loan guarantee application pursuant to the Energy Policy Act of 2005.
George Washington University, BS, magna cum laude
Georgetown University Law Center, JD, cum laude
Washington University in St. Louis, Masters
Inscription au Barreau
- District of Columbia
- New York
- New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division
- Named inaugural American Lawyer 2022 List of Northeast Trailblazers
- Recognized by Chambers Global for Projects: Renewables & Alternative Energy , U.S. 2016 , and 2020 - 2022
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Projects: Renewables & Alternative Energy, 2014–2015, 2018–2022
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Projects: Power & Renewables: Transactional - USA - Nationwide, 2020-2022
- Recommended Lawyer for Energy: Renewable/Alternative, Legal 500 United States, 2017–2020
- Recommended Lawyer for Project Finance, Legal 500 United States, 2018-2020
- Listed for Energy Transactions: Conventional Power, Legal 500 United States, 2019
- Named “Rising Star”, IFLR1000 Energy: United States, 2015, 2018–2020
- Named among Law360 Energy Rising Stars, 2014
- “Rising Star” Business/Corporate, and Energy & Natural Resources, Washington DC Super Lawyers, 2014 and 2016.
- Contributing editor of the Getting the Deal Through, global renewable energy guide for 2018 through 2020
- Named among Law360 Energy Rising Stars, 2014