Paul Moloney is a partner in the Corporate & Securities practice in Mayer Brown's Hong Kong office.
Paul has extensive experience advising asset managers and financial institutions on both public and private fund formation and regulatory issues in Hong Kong, Singapore, Ireland and the Cayman Islands. Paul also represents investors in a range of private investment funds on the negotiation of their investments, side letters and profit share arrangements.
Paul’s fund formation practice spans hedge funds, venture capital, real estate and private equity and he has experience with dealing with a wide range of sponsors and issuing arising during the entire fund lifecycle. Paul is also one of the few lawyers in Asia with an active European funds practice and advises asset managers based in Asia on the formation of European domiciled public (UCITS) and private funds (AIFs).
Paul further advises clients on Hong Kong licensing matters with the Securities and Futures Commission, the Department of Customs and Excise (Money Services Operator licenses), the Companies Registry (Trust and Corporate Services Licenses) and regulatory matters including managing and implementing large regulatory change projects, the acquisition of licensed entities, cross-border distribution of funds, and the launch of innovative products such as ICO products, cryptocurrency businesses and robo-advisory platforms.
Paul is a committee member of the Alternative Investment Management Association (AIMA) and the Hong Kong Venture Capital and Private Equity Association (HKVCA), leads the Irish Funds Industry Association in Hong Kong and is a key member of the team leading the ESG Initiative within Mayer Brown in Hong Kong. Paul is a regular speaker at industry events and is widely quoted in the media.
Paul is admitted to practice as a solicitor in Hong Kong, Ireland and England.
- Advised a Hong Kong and US based private equity manager on the establishment of a Cayman Islands domiciled biotechnology fund.
- Advised a Hong Kong licensed asset manager on the establishment of a Cayman Islands domiciled master-feeder fund.
- Advised a joint venture between a Mainland Chinese bank and asset manager on the establishment of Cayman Islands domiciled segregated portfolio company.
- Advised a Thai based asset manager on the establishment of a Cayman Islands domiciled cryptocurrency fund.
- Advising on numerous reviews and due diligence exercises for investors on a wide variety of private funds.
- Advising a Singapore based asset manager on the establishment of an open-ended umbrella Irish unit trust.
- Advising a Hong Kong based financial institution on obtaining approval from the SFC on the first Irish collective asset management vehicle (ICAV) to be authorised for distribution to retail investors in Hong Kong.
- Advising a Hong Kong financial institution on the authorisation by the SFC of a passively managed ESG fund.
- Advising a Hong Kong asset manager on the establishment of an Irish ICAV structure.
- Advising a Hong Kong bank on its obligations as a trustee of a Hong Kong domiciled unit trust on compliance with the Code on Unit Trusts and Mutual Funds.
- Advising a Swiss private bank on updating its onboarding documentation and procedures including in relation to ensuring that it complied with its obligations to conduct suitability checks on its clients.
- Advising numerous clients on obtaining SFC Type 1, 4 and 9 licenses.
- Advising a global money transfer company on obtaining a Money Services Operator license from the Customs and Excise Department.
- Advising a European regulator on the sandboxes operated by the SFC, the Hong Kong Monetary Authority and the Insurance Authority.
University of Limerick, Ireland, BA, Law and Accounting
Inscription au Barreau
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong
- Member, Education Committee, Hong Kong Alternative Investment Management Association
- Member, Irish Funds Hong Kong Committee
- Highly Regarded - Private Equity Funds, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2023)
- Highly Regarded - Real Estate Funds, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2023)