Sources praise him for being “highly proficient” and “strong on substance and constantly ahead of the curve. He is always impressive!”
Nikolay Mizulin leads Mayer Brown's Public Policy, Regulatory & Political Law and International Trade practices in Brussels. He advises clients on all aspects of international and EU trade law, with particular emphasis on trade remedies, WTO Dispute Settlement, customs and sanctions.
Nikolay has represented corporations and governments in anti-dumping, safeguard, and anti-subsidy cases before EU institutions as well as before the investigating authorities of Brazil, China, Russia, Ukraine, the US, and other countries. His experience covers all stages of the proceedings, from preparing questionnaire responses to challenging measures before the courts. Nikolay has been involved in several high-profile WTO disputes, providing assistance to governments as well as private sector.
In his regulatory practice, Nikolay regularly advises private companies in matters relating to the application of sanctions by the EU and US. He assists clients in complying with customs regulations and advises on trade impact of EU measures concerning energy, chemical substances and climate change.
In addition to his native Russian, Nikolay speaks fluent English and Spanish.
- Assistance to private parties and Governments in several major WTO disputes involving trade in energy, subsidization, trade defence measures, trade in services, basic non-discrimination principles as well as technical barriers to trade.
- Assistance to various stakeholders in more than 50 EU trade defence investigations.
- Successful defence of foreign exporters and domestic industry in the anti-dumping, anti-subsidy and safeguard investigations conducted by Brazil, Canada, China, the Eurasian Economic Union, India, Turkey, Ukraine, US and other countries.
- Advice on compliance with the EU GSP regime resulting in major duty-saving opportunities.
- Successfully acting before the Court of Justice of the European Union in challenges to regulations imposing anti-dumping measures.
- Unique experience in representing interests in a litigation before the Court of the Eurasian Economic Union.
University of Oxford, Lady Margaret Hall, Magister Juris LLM
World Trade Institute, Master of International Law and Economics
Moscow State Institute for International Relations, Bachelor of Jurisprudence
Inscription au Barreau
- Brussels, Belgium (B List)
- Moscow, Russia
- Ranked Band 3, Chambers Global, International Trade/WTO (Europe-wide)
- Ranked Band 3, Chambers Europe, International Trade/WTO
- Listed in Legal 500 EMEA, Customs, Trade, WTO and Anti-Dumping (Belgium)
- Profiled in The International Who’s Who of Trade & Customs Lawyers
- Listed in Guide to the World's Leading International Trade Lawyers
- Listed as Rising Star, Law 360 International Trade law (2016)