Co-leader of Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Co-leader of Banking & Financial Litigation
Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Cybersecurity & Data Privacy, Banking & Finance Litigation
"Ian always provides excellent advice and is very responsive." "He is excellent."
Ian McDonald acts for banks and funds, particularly in high-value disputes relating to loan structures, structured finance and derivatives. Many have cross-jurisdictional elements, large teams and competing priorities. Ian has experience leading the UK litigation aspects as part of a cross-office, cross-practice team advising a financial institution on a cybersecurity incident. He has also advised financial institutions involving allegations of mis-selling, misconduct, misrepresentation, deceit, fraud, breach of duty, contractual interpretation and breach of transactional documentation, as well as on matters of enforcement, rectification and restitution. Ian acts for licensed insolvency practitioners, noteholders, lenders, creditors, directors and borrowers in contentious insolvency matters.
- Acted for the majority vote of the ISDA Determinations Committee in respect to the External Review of whether there had been a credit event in respect of Novo Banco.
- A global financial institution in relation to a data breach. Obtained urgent injunctive relief against persons unknown responsible for the theft of data and implementing international process for compliance with notification and other obligations pursuant to GDPR and other relevant international standards.
- UBS in respect of claims relating to synthetic CDOs and related credit default swaps, including jurisdiction challenge and related proceedings in Germany.
- Spanish real estate investment fund in litigation concerning breaches of loan documentation including material adverse change and the construction of a London hotel and successful outcome after 9-week trial. Grupo Hotelero Urvasco SA v Carey Value Added SL (2012) QBD (Comm) (Court of Appeal – 12 October 2012).
Grupo Hotelero Urvasco SA v Carey Value Added SL  EWHC 1039 (Comm).
- Band 4: Banking Litigation. Ian McDonald has a great deal of experience in handling complex banking disputes. He is regularly engaged by major banks and funds for assistance with high-value cross-border litigation relating to issues such as financial mis-selling and breaches of contract. "Ian always provides excellent advice and is very responsive." "He is excellent." Chambers UK
- Listed in the Hall of Fame for Banking Litigation and as a key lawyer for Financial Services. Recommended for Commercial Litigation Legal 500
- Listed in the Hall of Fame for Banking Litigation, Ian "provides the firm's clients with clear strategic direction and consistently displays exceptional judgment." He "provides excellent and thoughtful advice regarding potential litigation and during actions (where such is required). He demonstrates a thorough approach to risk and commercial attitude." Legal 500
- Listed as a key lawyer for Fraud, he is "not afraid to get into the detail of a case but also provides excellent strategic overview." Legal 500
- Ian McDonald has a great deal of experience in handling complex banking disputes. He is regularly engaged by major banks and funds for assistance with high-value cross-border litigation relating to issues such as financial mis-selling and breaches of contract. "Ian is immensely experienced. He knows the law and knows where to bring commercial realities into his approach." "He makes sure clients go in completely aware of the risks and how to present their case in a way that makes the difference between winning and losing." Chambers UK
- Listed as a 'Leading individual' for Banking Litigation. "Ian McDonald shows subtle and effective leadership. He is a highly intelligent partner, who is extremely proficient at managing large litigation. He is also a pleasure to work with." Also listed under "Other key lawyers" for Corporate Restructuring & Insolvency. Legal 500
- Ranked as a key name. Chambers UK
- University of Cambridge, Jesus College
Inscription au Barreau
- England and Wales
Engagement professionnel et communautaire
- The Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers