Gigi Ma is an associate in the Corporate & Securities practice in Mayer Brown's Hong Kong office.
Gigi has extensive experience in advising asset managers and financial institutions. Gigi advises on all aspects concerning the formation, maintenance and restructuring of private investment funds, post-establishment transactions, authorisation and post-authorisation applications of retail funds, licensing applications and regulatory compliance, including advising on the proposed introduction of a commodity-backed crypto-currency in Hong Kong.
Gigi is admitted to practise as a solicitor in Hong Kong, and speaks fluent English, Cantonese and Mandarin. She earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Natural Sciences from Durham University, a Master of Science degree in Environmental Engineering from Imperial College London and a Juris Doctor degree from The University of Hong Kong.
- Advising numerous clients on obtaining SFC licence for Type 1 (dealing in securities), Type 4 (advising on securities) and/or Type 9 (asset management) regulated activities.
- Advising a Hong Kong-based financial institution on the registration of various sub-funds of an Irish collective asset management vehicle (ICAV), which is the first to be authorised for distribution to retail investors in Hong Kong.
- Advising a Hong Kong-based asset manager on the establishment and registration from the Central Bank of Ireland of an Irish ICAV structure.
- Advising numerous financial institution clients on post-authorisation scheme change applications made to the SFC in respect of various retail funds in Hong Kong, including change of depositary applications.
- Advising various clients on the establishment of Cayman Islands domiciled investment funds in the form of segregated portfolio companies or corporate standalone funds.
The University of Hong Kong, JD
Imperial College London, MSc, Environmental Engineering
Durham University, BSc, Natural Sciences
Inscription au Barreau
- Hong Kong