Júlia Batistella Machado is active in a variety of power mandates. A client highlights her "technical quality, very quick responses and ability to raise relevant questions." Another source attests: "She is dedicated to understanding clients' needs and seeking alternatives to better solve a problem."Chambers Global 2022
Julia Machado is a special counsel in the Corporate and M&A practice of Tauil & Chequer in association with Mayer Brown in the São Paulo office. Julia advises national and international clients in understanding and mitigating regulatory risks involved in doing business in Brazil and negotiating contracts, with a focus on the power sector, in the context of M&A, project structuring and development, project financing, privatization, auctions regulated companies, joint ventures and new business models. She was a consultant for the Center of Analysis of Risk and Regulation — CARR of London in 2016-17, in a project developed for the Government Brazilian Federal Government in the context of the implementation of the Investment Partnership Program — PPI.
Julia was one of the finalists for the 2020 edition of the Women in Business Law Americas Awards by Euromoney at Best in Energy, Natural Resources & Mining category and highlighted as a Rising Star in Energy and Natural Resources: Electricity and Renewable Energy by The Legal 500 in 2021. She has been nominated by Chambers and Partners as Associate to Watch in Energy & Natural Resources: Power in 2021 and 2022. She is also recognized in Análise Editorial rankings and Leaders League.
- Advised a mining company in the development of a green hydrogen-ammonia plant in Brazil, with an estimated investment of USD 6 billion.
- Advised a food manufacturer BRF in establishing a joint venture with AES Corp. for the development of a wind power generation complex with approximately 160 MW of installed capacity and another joint venture with Pontoon for the development of a photovoltaic solar energy generation complex with approximately 300 MW of installed capacity.
- Advised CPFL on the participation and subsequent issues related to the privatization process of the CEEE-T transmission holding, previously owned by the State of Rio Grande do Sul, and sold for BRL 2.67 billion.
- Advised a consortium of 16 banks in the BRL 15.3 billion centralized financing to power distribution companies, named Conta-Covid.
- Advised Mubadala with the purchasing of refinery RLAM from Petrobras and with the negotiation of a power purchase agreement.
- Advised Kinross with matters related to the Generation Scalling Factor – GSF and the extension of the concession term of two hydropower plants.
- Advised two multinationals in the cloud computing sector on issues related to the connection of facilities to the transmission and distribution power grid.
- Advised two companies in the sector of paper and pulp with matters related to hydropower plants, thermal power plants and connection to the electricity grid.
Faculdade de Direito da Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
The London School of Economics and Political Science, MSc, Regulation
Inscription au Barreau