James Lewis is a counsel in the Hong Kong office of Mayer Brown. James has experience in contentious and non-contentious construction matters and international arbitration. He has provided mid-project advice to both contractors and employers on a variety of construction related issues, and assisted with a number of construction disputes involving a wide variety of issues, including delays, variations, defects, warranties and construction securities. He has acted for clients in international arbitrations seated both in Hong Kong and Singapore.
James is admitted in both Hong Kong and New York.
Notable Non-Contentious Experience
- Assisting a statutory body with the review, preparation and finalisation of tender documents including the construction contracts for the main contractor and nominated sub-contractors, tender addenda for the construction of a theatre in a world class arts and cultural hub in West Kowloon. Advising on contract award and post-contract matters.
- Assisting a statutory body with the review of tender documents for the fit-out of an advanced manufacturing centre in Hong Kong. Advising on contract award and drafting an associated operating agreement.
- Advising a major tertiary institution in Hong Kong regarding the construction of a campus expansion project involving multiple buildings including academic, research and hostel facilities, challenging ground conditions, all in a highly urbanised environment.
- Advising an investment fund in relation to the construction of a residential and commercial development on a reclaimed island in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- Advising a multinational hospitality provider in relation to the redevelopment of one of its premises into a mixed-use commercial building.
- Advising a multinational hospitality provider in relation to re-location and fit-out of head offices in Hong Kong, including review, and amendment and negotiation of fit-out agreement.
- Review, amendment and drafting of standard form contract documents relating to construction maintenance works for a major tertiary institution in Hong Kong.
- Review, amendment, and drafting of contract documents for inclusion in a major Hong Kong developer's suite of standard form contract documentation.
- Advising a major Hong Kong developer in relation to standard form appointment letters for consultants for construction projects.
- Advising a charitable organisation in respect of contractual documentation relating to the redevelopment of its clubhouse facilities.
- Advising a prominent construction consultant regarding tender documentation regarding a major infrastructure project in the Philippines.
- Advising a multinational specialist steel contractor on a tender for unique construction project in Macau.
Notable Contentious Experience
- Advising a multinational corporation in respect of disputes with a main contractor in relation to a luxury integrated resort in Macau.
- Acting for an international property conglomerate in High Court proceedings in Hong Kong regarding disputes with a main contractor involving a luxury housing project in Hong Kong.
- Advising an international property conglomerate regarding contract close-out and termination of a main contractor in respect of a luxury housing project in Hong Kong.
- Acting for a major Hong Kong developer in respect of defective building works by a contractor.
- Advising a statutory operator in the Commission of Inquiry into issues arising out of the construction of one of the stations in a major railway link in Hong Kong.
- Advising a leading charitable organization on the collapse of a heritage building in Central including potential enforcement proceedings and prosecution by the relevant authority, and potential proceedings to be commenced in due course against the party / parties in default.
- Advising a major Hong Kong developer regarding various contractual matters and disputes in respect of various high profile infrastructure projects in Hong Kong.
- Advising a leading charitable organisation in relation to mediation and arbitration proceedings with respect to defective design and works and supervision issues regarding a project in the PRC.
- Acting for a Hong Kong developer against an international contractor in a Hong Kong domestic arbitration (HKIAC Domestic Rules) involving final account claims.
- Secondment with major Hong Kong contractor on a high-profile strategic Government infrastructure project in Hong Kong; Advising, coordinating claims team and strategy, in-house legal work.
- Acting for a multinational corporation against an international developer in an international arbitration seated in Singapore (SIAC Rules) regarding a landmark project in Singapore.
- Acting for an international contractor against the Hong Kong Government in an arbitration seated in Hong Kong (HKIAC Rules) regarding a major infrastructure project.
- Acting for a Taiwanese sub-contractor against a Singaporean main contractor employed by the Russian Government in an international arbitration seated in Hong Kong (ICC Rules).
Columbia University, LLM
King's College London, MSc
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
King's College London, LLB
Inscriptions au Barreau
- Hong Kong
- New York
- Member, Law Society of Hong Kong
- Council Member, Society of Construction Law Hong Kong
- Member, Society of Construction Law Hong Kong
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Arbitrator in the VIS East Mooting Competition (2014 – 2015)
- Judge in the International ADR Mooting Competition jointly organised by the City University of Hong Kong, CIETAC and Columbia Law School (2013 - 2014)
- Assistant Lecturer to Professor Geoffrey Chan, The University of Hong Kong, “Law For Civil Engineers” (2016 – present)
- External Examiner, Peking University School of Transnational Law (Shenzhen) – Thesis Examiner (2017 – 2018)