"A tremendous, positive, constructive force and a talented strategist."
Ward is "an accomplished litigator...." "[a]rticulate in the courtroom", "he is commended for his courtroom skills, with clients. . . praising his ability to 'distil technical concepts into an easily understandable form.'"
Ward has "the unique ability to get inside the other parties' strategy."
"Clients 'think very highly of' Ward who is highly sought for his expertise in litigation related to antitrust and technology matters." He "is regarded as a strong presence in the marketplace."
Ward Johnson regularly serves as lead counsel in complex commercial litigation. He "has finely honed trial expertise as a result of his exposure to complex commercial, IP and antitrust cases." IAM 1000. Ward has "a great understanding of the business realities we face," and is "very good at identifying obstacles and solutions." Chambers USA. Ward litigates "with tactical wisdom and creativity; his storytelling abilities are on point regardless of subject matter, not least thanks to the variety of cases – commercial, antitrust and consumer class action lawsuits – he sees." IAM 1000. "His strategic skills when looking at the battle landscape are exceptional, and he brings creativity and out-of-the-box thinking to the table.'" IAM 1000.
Ward serves on the Firm’s worldwide Partnership Board. He is Managing Partner of Mayer Brown's Northern California offices.
"He is a very smart guy and a tough opponent." Chambers USA. Described as a "strategic thinker" he is praised for his ability to "think creatively and make outside-the-box arguments." Chambers USA. "Commentators offer particular praise for his 'stellar legal advice.'" Chambers USA.
Ward "is the consummate IP professional". IAM 1000. He is frequently consulted where antitrust and technology issues converge, including the licensing of essential patents relating to a technology standard and obligations to license on FRAND terms. He has served as lead counsel in dozens of patent actions.
Ward has provided antitrust advice in obtaining merger clearance from US federal, state and European regulators for major transactions in the technology, mass media, energy, pharmaceutical and retail industries.
Ward has served as Deputy Solicitor General of New York State; and as Law Clerk to the Honorable John D. Butzner, Jr., US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Represent major multinational technology company in class action litigations related to data privacy and internet advertising.
- Represent multinational technology companies in international arbitrations (ICC, AAA, WIPO) relating to high stakes cross-border intellectual property, contract and licensing disputes.
- Eight figure jury verdict (after a six-week jury trial) for client in semiconductor manufacturing dispute.
- Represented major technology innovators in antitrust and other litigations concerning their patents relating to essential technology standards.
- Won several post-eBay injunctions against infringers of clients' patents as well as summary judgments finding infringement of clients' patents, including a finding of willful infringement and alter-ego liability against the owner of an infringing corporation.
- Favorable settlement of securities class action against telecommunications company client Universal Access after trial court dismissed the majority of plaintiffs' fraud claims (ED Tex).
- Dismissal of client from ITC Section 337 investigation against leading manufacturers of point-of-sale devices.
- Favorable settlement of client civil RICO and patent royalty claims against leading distributor of consumer electronics.
- Representation of major manufacturer in antitrust and unfair competition class action.
Yale Law School, JD
Editor, Yale Law & Policy Review
University of Virginia, BA, with highest distinction
Robert K. Gooch Scholar
Inscription au Barreau
- New York
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Federal Claims
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US District Court for the Central District of California
- US District Court for the Eastern District of California
- US District Court for the Northern District of California
- US District Court for the Southern District of California
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas