Philip A. Hyde is a partner in the Corporate & Securities practice in Mayer Brown's Hong Kong office. Philip has over 25 years of experience advising on an extensive range of debt capital markets, structured finance, derivatives, and securitization transactions. He regularly advises on corporate bond issues and their related swaps, convertible and exchangeable bonds, loans, and other international securities offerings and financings. Philip is particularly active in advising trustees on all aspects of their transactions, from their initial appointment on new issues, their ongoing obligations throughout the term of the transaction, restructurings or amendments to actions following a default.
Philip also has a long track record of advising on repackaging programs and transactions, credit-linked notes (CLNs), equity-linked notes (ELNs), credit-linked loans (CLLs), and collateral debt obligations (CDOs). He has a strong knowledge of derivatives with a focus on interest and exchange rate derivatives, options and forwards, credit and equity derivatives, total return swaps, repos, and stock lending. In addition, he advises clients on ISDA negotiation, with a specialist expertise on agreeing the form of ISDA Schedule, Credit Support Annexes, and other ancillary documents. In the area of securitization, Philip has advised on the securitization of a wide range of asset classes, including non-performing loans, consumer loans, credit card loans, auto loans, shopping credit loans, commercial and residential mortgages, real estate, and whole business securitizations.
He advises a wide range of clients including arrangers, dealers, issuers, trustees and security trustees, lenders, borrowers, hedge funds, swap counterparties, and investors. Philip is widely recognized as a leading individual for debt capital markets, structured finance, and securitization work in legal directories, including Chambers Global, Chambers Asia Pacific and The Legal 500 Asia Pacific .
Prior to joining the firm, Philip was a partner at other international law firms.
University of Newcastle upon Tyne, LLB, Honours
Inscription au Barreau
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong
- Highly Regarded - Capital Markets: Structured Finance and Securitisation, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2022, 2022/23)
- Leading Individual - Capital Markets – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2015)
- Leading Individual - Structured Finance/Securitisation – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2015)
- “Long-established practitioner Philip Hyde is lauded for 'combining strong analytical skills with a very commercial approach. He is always thinking outside of the box - that is one area that really distinguishes him.'” – Chambers Global
- "'Star Performer' Philip Hyde…has 'a wealth of experience in capital markets transactions and always exercises strong commercial judgment.'” – Chambers Global
- “Philip Hyde has 'a very “can do” attitude' and is 'very client-focused and good at identifying problems at an early stage.'” – Chambers Global
- “Philip Hyde 'provides advice that is right on the mark by putting himself in the client's shoes.'” – Chambers Global
- “'Philip Hyde is reachable, responsive and provides quite considered and practical advice…with consideration of commercial restraints.'” – Chambers Global