Restructuring, Distressed Real Estate, Special Situations
Nicola Hughes, senior associate, acts for a wide range of clients, including insolvency officeholders, directors and financial institutions on a mixture of contentious and transactional matters in the context of restructuring and insolvency. She has experience in both personal and corporate insolvency and has recently dealt with matters in the tech, hospitality and retail sectors.
- Acted for funds managed by Permira credit arm on their acquisition of a large portion of the stationery retailer Paperchase, a move which rescued the business from administration.
- Advised the joint administrators of Nationwide Accident Repair Services and 8 of its subsidiaries in all aspects relating to the sale of the business and certain assets to RunMyCar Limited. The business, operates a nationwide network of garages, servicing the accident repair market for a number of large UK general insurance firms.
- Advised Cath Kidston’s parent company, Hong Kong-based Baring Private Equity Asia, which bought the online, franchise and wholesale business of the brand, after the retailer went into administration in April 2020.
- Represented insolvency practitioners from Alvarez & Marsal Europe, the leading global professional services firm, in connection with all aspects of their appointment as the liquidators of Joannou & Paraskevaides (Overseas), a construction company operating in the Middle East, Europe & North Africa. The liquidators were appointed by an order of the Guernsey Court.
- Successfully defended Insolvency Practitioners at trial in a £250m claim in relation to alleged negligent failures to rescue the company as a going concern and/or to sell its development site at an appropriate value (In the matter of One Blackfriars Ltd).
Inscription au Barreau
- England and Wales