Menachem Hasofer is a partner of Mayer Brown and Co-Leader of the firm’s International Arbitration practice. He is experienced in litigation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution with an emphasis on handling documents-intensive disputes arising from building construction and infrastructure projects.
Menachem advises companies on records retention and management, including storage and retrieval of electronically stored information and e-discovery. He is a co-author of chapters on international litigation and arbitration in Electronic Discovery Deskbook, published by Practising Law Institute, and was an active member of the Hong Kong Judiciary’s working group for the Practice Direction for an e-Discovery Pilot Scheme published in 2014.
Menachem also has significant experience in public/administrative law cases, particularly in representing Hong Kong land owners and NGOs in judicial review proceedings concerning town planning, environmental and land lease decisions. He also advises on public procurement/tendering issues under the WTO Agreement on Government Procurement (GPA).
- Represented the Hysan Group and the Real Estate Developers Association of Hong Kong (REDA), respectively, in appeals to the Court of Final Appeal regarding constitutional proportionality in Town Planning and on the Building Authority's Proof of Ownership requirement.
- Advised Ocean Park Corporation on the town planning and construction aspects of its tender for the development of two hotels.
- Acted for owner/operators of the Eastern Harbour Tunnel in arbitration proceedings against the Transport Department of the Hong Kong SAR Government relating to the Operation and Management Agreement and toll setting mechanism.
- Advising Statutory Authorities on compliance with obligations under the World Trade Organisation Agreement on Government Procurement and defending bid challenges.
- Representing REDA in judicial review proceedings challenging amendments to four Outline Zoning Plans introducing building height and other restrictions.
- Acted for Hong Kong Housing Authority in legal proceedings arising from non-conforming foundations at Tin Shui Wai. Ancillary proceedings in Hong Kong and Germany concerning insolvency of a construction company and global liability insurance.
- Acted for the Hong Kong Government in an arbitration of claims for misrepresentation arising out of the supply of sand from the PRC for reclamation, involving questions of both Hong Kong and PRC law.
The College of Law, New South Wales, Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice
Legal Practitioners Admission Board (Supreme Court of New South Wales), Dip (Law)
The Securities Institute of Australia, Certificate in Financial Markets
Inscription au Barreau
- Hong Kong
- Australia, New South Wales
- Accredited Mediator, Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association
- Fellow, The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Accredited Mediator, HKIAC
- Member, Society of Construction Law
- Guest Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Hong Kong
- Leading - Leading Construction & Infrastructure Litigation Lawyers, Hong Kong – Doyle's Guide (2022)
- Leading Individual - Construction, Hong Kong – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2019-2023)
- Band 1 - Construction (International Firms), China – Chambers Greater China Region (2022, 2023)
- Leading Individual - Construction (International Firms), China – Chambers Asia Pacific (2015-2021)
- Litigation Star - Construction and International Arbitration, Hong Kong - Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific (2020-2022)
- Dispute Resolution Star - Construction and International Arbitration, Hong Kong - Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific (2019)
- Acritas Star – Acritas Stars Report (2017)
- LMG Rising Star – Expert Guides (2015)
- Up and Coming - Construction: Hong Kong-based (International Firms), China – Chambers Asia Pacific (2013, 2014)
- "recommended for construction and town planning matters." – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2013)
- "extremely experienced in town planning work. He's a very bright guy, who's efficient and accurate." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2013)