"Extremely professional and wise, with great commercial sense and a wonderful personality. What else can a client ask for?"IFLR1000 (2020)
Hannah Ha is a partner of the Corporate & Securities practice of Mayer Brown in Hong Kong. She is a co-leader of the global Corporate & Securities practice and serves on the firm’s Partnership Board. Hannah’s primary practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions and she has extensive experience in foreign direct investment in China, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions and general corporate and commercial matters. Hannah's practice also covers competition law, and she co-heads the firm's award winning Antitrust & Competition Team in Asia.
Hannah advises sovereign wealth funds, blue-chip companies, multi-national corporations and mainland Chinese companies. Her industry experience is wide-ranging, including aviation, chemicals, construction, consumer products, pharmaceuticals, transport, financial services and real estate.
Consistently recognised by independent commentators, clients told IFLR1000 2020 that “Ms Hannah Ha, who we've worked very closely with for years is exceptionally professional, she is always able to provide extremely commercially sensible legal advice to the group topped with great wisdom. We are thankful to have wise and helpful lawyers like her to work hand-in-hand with us”. Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020 also described Hannah as “well-positioned to guide local clients through investigations initiated by the Competition Commission, while on the non-contentious side, as well as her regular involvement in merger clearance work, Ha also assists multinational corporations to implement compliance programmes for antitrust and anti-corruption in Asia”.
Hannah is an active advocate of pro bono and diversity & inclusion initiatives. She was recognized as a women leader by IFLR1000 Women Leaders 2020-2022 consecutively, and shortlisted for the Asian Women in Business Law Award (M&A) by Euromoney in 2020. She has also been named leading lawyer for Mergers and Acquisitions by Expert Guides: Women in Business Law in 2014-2016.
Hannah is a China-Appointed Attesting Officer (appointed by the Ministry of Justice of PRC) and a Notary Public in Hong Kong. She speaks English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Advised a US Fortune 100 corporation listed on the New York Stock Exchange on an acquisition of a global oil & gas division of a FTSE 250 Index constituent company. The deal is valued at US$405 million and involved target assets across multiple jurisdictions. A six-practice, eight-office Mayer Brown team assisted the transaction.
- Advised a world leading biotech company, which was a member of a Chinese SoE, on the establishment of a JV with a Shenzhen listed company under the same parent group, and another Shanghai listed company under its parent group’s peer group. This matter also involves comprehensive structuring and compliance issues.
- Advised a prominent airline based in Asia on the restructuring of a joint venture with a prominent PRC airline. The JV was put in place with a very novel structure for compliance and business reasons under some specific circumstances, which brought challenges to the restructuring work. We also advised on the establishment of the JV.
- Advised the investment arms of a world-class Japanese conglomerate on its investments in a Vietnamese financial institution that operates a highly regulated business, the transaction includes both a primary and a secondary tranche and our work includes merger control, M&A and other aspects. This is our client’s first direct investment in Vietnam and one of the largest investments ever in Vietnam’s burgeoning fintech space.
- Advised a conglomerate listed group in Hong Kong with substantial PRC background to acquire several port businesses in various provinces of Australia from a prominent Australian listed company.
- Advised a conglomerate listed group in Hong Kong with substantial PRC background together with a fund in China focusing on investments in Africa for investing into Nigeria.
- Advised a PRC national in acquiring a landmark hotel in San Francisco.
- Advised a Chinese leasing company on its subscription of shares, loan arrangements and joint venture in a special purpose vehicle holding three vessels with a total value of approximately US$276 million.
- Advised a leading global consumer goods manufacturer on the disposal of the China manufacturing and distribution business of one of its internationally renowned food brands. This disposal is part of a global transaction with total cash consideration of $700 million. We advised on corporate and competition law matters of the deal.
- Advised Ascott Holdings Limited, the subsidiary of CapitaLand Limited, on the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Excel Chinese International Limited which owns a piece of land in Sheung Wan and operates a boutique hotel in Sheung Wan, The Mercer.
- Advised China Resources Group on acquiring the distribution network of an Italian fashion brand "LIUJO" in the PRC and obtaining a license for the LIUJO brand in the PRC.
- Advised a consortium led by a worldwide prominent hotel/serviced residences operator for investing into an online apartment sharing platform in China.
- Advised the worldwide prominent hotel/serviced residences operator for forming a joint venture with an entity operating an online apartment sharing platform in China for managing a portfolio of serviced residences in China.
- Advised a world renowned financial institution in its acquisition of a minority interest in a prominent bank in Shanghai.
- Advised a leading PRC real estate developer in the establishment of a joint venture with a private equity fund (targeted with a total capital contribution of up to US$2 billion) to invest in and develop mixed-used commercial real estate projects in the PRC with a total construction area of approximately 2 to 4 million square metres.
- Advised China Resources Cement Holdings Limited in respect of its acquisition of 50% interest in several entities (indirectly held by Yue Xiu Enterprises (Holdings) Limited) that engage in the clinker, cement and concrete operations in Guangzhou and Hong Kong, for an aggregate consideration of HK$1.24 billion.
- Advised a major Hong Kong utilities company in connection with its joint venture to develop their utility meter business. The joint venture partner, an international utilities meter provider, has injected its existing utility meter business in China, Hong Kong and the US by two stages to the newly established joint venture in China, Hong Kong and the US respectively. Our client is the majority shareholder in the joint venture.
- Advised Cathay Pacific Airways Limited on a proposed multi-party ground handling joint venture in Shanghai. The 4-party joint venture involves 3 public listed entities and 3 PRC state-owned companies.
- Advised Cathay Pacific Group in the establishment of a cargo airline joint venture with Air China Limited ("Air China"). The Cathay Pacific Group will subscribe for 25% equity interest directly in Air China Cargo Co., Ltd. ("ACC") for a consideration of approximately RMB851 million and obtain 24% economic interest in ACC through the returns on the loan in the sum of approximately RMB 817 million provided by Cathay Pacific Group. Air China will retain 51% equity interest in ACC. Four Boeing 747-400 converted freighters and two spare engines will also be sold by the Cathay Pacific Group to ACC as part of the transaction.
- Advised EUROFER (the association of European steel producers) in the filing of submissions to various international competition regulators, including China's Ministry of Commerce, opposing the contemplated Australian iron ore joint venture between BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto. The team's representation of EUROFER on this matter was recognised via Global Competition Review's the 2011 "M&A Transaction of the Year, Asia-Pacific, Middle East & Africa" award.
- Advised Hong Kong Aviation Engineering Co, Ltd. (HAECO) on its acquisition and the related merger control issues of an aircraft engine maintenance, repair, overhaul and testing facility in Xiamen, PRC from leading aircraft engine manufacturer, GE. The transaction involves the acquisition by HAECO and its affiliates of a PRC subsidiary of GE and a "branded service arrangement" between GE and the required facility. The total transaction value amounts to over US$100 million. We advised the client on both corporate and competition law aspects of this transaction.
- Advised Modern Terminals Limited to form a joint venture with China Merchants Holdings (International) Company Limited for the purposes of rationalizing and consolidating their respective interests in 3 container terminal companies in Shekou, Shenzhen, China. Total value of the transaction is approximately US$1.7 billion.
- Advised Americold Realty in the establishment of a joint venture to develop cold chain logistics services in China and Asia with China Merchants Holdings (International) Co. Ltd. (China Merchants), a large dock operator in China. China Merchants will take a 51% controlling stake in the joint venture with Americold Realty, a large provider of temperature-controlled food distribution services in the U.S, taking the remaining stake. The parties will jointly invest RMB 70 million in the joint venture.
- Advised Agilysys, Inc., a NASDAQ-listed company in its acquisition of a Shanghai company, and the assets and business of a Hong Kong company, which are both engaged in providing computer hardware and software- related technology and solutions. Handled the acquisition in Hong Kong and the PRC, and also negotiated and arranged the signing of novation contracts with suppliers and customers.
- Advised various private equity funds in US on pre-merger control filings in China in respect of their respective acquisitions in various industry sectors.
- Advised a leading marketer of apparel and consumer soft goods, a NYSE listed company to conduct a corporate restructuring of its subsidiaries in Hong Kong and a few Asian countries before selling those subsidiaries to a listed group in China.
- Advised a prominent bank in Hong Kong on the formation of a joint venture in relation to a credit card business in China, with one of the largest banks in China.
- Advised HSBC in establishing HSBC ZhongHua Insurance Brokers Co., Ltd. in China.
- Advised HSBC on its sale of a 27 percent stake in Ping An Bank Limited to Shenzhen Commercial Bank Company Limited (SZCB, a subsidiary of Ping An Group). The transaction was part of Ping An Group's consolidation of its banking businesses within SZCB.
- Advised Hang Seng Bank on its US$210 million acquisition of a 15.98% stake in Industrial Bank.
The University of Warwick, MBA
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
The University of Hong Kong, LLB
Inscription au Barreau
- New York
- New Zealand
- Australia, Queensland
- Australia, New South Wales
- Australia, Victoria
- Australia, Tasmania
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong
- Standards and Development Committee, Hong Kong Society of Notaries
- Council Member, Hong Kong Society of Notaries
- Member, Competition Law Working Group, Association of China-Appointed Attesting Officers & Society of Notaries
- Member, Disciplinary Committee of Association of China-Appointed Attesting Officers
- Member, New York Bar Association
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, China Committee, The British Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
- Member, Executive Committee of the Hong Kong Competition Association
- Expert, Competition and Antitrust – Expert Guides: Women in Business Law (2012, 2014, 2016, 2021)
- Leading Individual - Competition/Antitrust, China (International Firms) – Chambers Global (2012-2023)
- Leading Individual - Competition/Antitrust, China (International Firms) – Chambers Greater China Region (2022, 2023)
- Leading Individual - Competition/Antitrust, China (International Firms) – Chambers Asia Pacific (2009-2021)
- Recommended - Corporate and M&A: Foreign Firms, China – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2021, 2022)
- Recommended - Corporate (Including M&A), Hong Kong – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2020-2023)
- Leading Individual - Antitrust & Competition, Hong Kong – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2018, 2020-2023)
- Women Leaders – IFLR1000 (2020-2022)
- Highly Regarded Lawyer - Mergers and Acquisitions, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2020-2022, 2022/23)
- Highly Regarded Lawyer - Competition, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2018-2022, 2022/23)
- Acritas Star – Acritas Stars Report (2017)
- Leading Individual - Corporate/M&A: Hong Kong-based, China (International Firms) – Chambers Global (2012-2017, 2022, 2023)
- Leading Individual - Corporate/M&A: Hong Kong-based, China (International Firms) – Chambers Greater China Region (2022)
- Leading Individual - Corporate/M&A: Hong Kong-based, China (International Firms) – Chambers Asia Pacific (2011-2017)
- Leading Lawyer - Competition, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2011-2017)
- Leading Lawyer – Mergers and Acquisitions – Expert Guides: Women in Business Law (2014-2016)
- Expert – Expert Guides: Women in Business Law (2015)
- Asia Women in Business Law Awards - Best in Competition and Antitrust award – Euromoney LMG (2013)
- Expert, Mergers and Acquisitions – Expert Guides: Women in Business Law (2013)
- "The way they understand client needs is a notch above others. They know how to solve problems and not escalate them." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2013)
- "She was devoted to the project, took care of all the details and worked within deadlines" – Chambers Asia Pacific (2013)
- Leading Practitioners China (Competition and Antitrust: Greater China International Firms) – Expert Guides (2012)
- "an all-rounder who interacts well with clients and gives good advice on competition transactions." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2012)
- "Interviewees respect her 'level of commitment and accommodating nature that suits client schedules and timetables.'" – Chambers Asia Pacific (2012)