"a highly intelligent lawyer."Chambers Latin America
Victor Galante is a partner of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown. He is based in the firm’s Rio de Janeiro office, but spends a substantial amount of time in the Sao Paulo office as well. Victor has been advising clients for more than a decade and has relevant experience in project development and M&A transactions. He has advised oil and gas, pipeline, petrochemical, mining and infrastructure in several countries, including Brazil, Malaysia, Mozambique, Angola, Guinea and others.
Victor has been recommended as a top Corporate and M&A lawyer by The Legal 500. He has also been ranked as a Leading Lawyer in Energy and Infrastructure by IFLR1000 and Latin Lawyer 250 and is an approved Energy lawyer by LACCA - The Latin American Corporate Counsel Association.
- Represented a leading Swiss engineering company in the qualification for different bids organized by the Brazilian Government for the expansion of the local subway system.
- Represented China Offshore Oil Engineering Company – COOEC in the negotiation of the assignment document related to the construction of FPSO P-67 and FPSO P-70.
- Represented a Japanese company in the negotiation of an EPC Contract for the construction of a metro line in the state of São Paulo.
- Represented Consortium UFN-III, formed by Sinopec and Galvão Engenharia, in the contract signed with Petrobras for Complexo Gás-Químico UFN-III, a gas-to-chemicals complex in Brazil.
- Represented Foster Wheeler Energy Limited in the contract award by Petrobras for Complexo Gás-Químico UFN-IV, a gas-to-chemicals complex in Brazil with planned investments of US $1.5 billion.
- Represented the Contractor Group formed by Sonangol P&P, Esso, Chevron, BP, ENI, Total, the National Concessionaire and MSTelcom in connection with the implementation of a subsea offshore optical cable network that will initially connect the platforms operating in the Angolan offshore blocks 0, 3/05, 15/06, 17 and 18. The estimated value is US$18 billion.
- Represented Sinopec in drafting and negotiating the EPC contract and other agreements related to construction of a US$1.5 billion gas pipeline in Brazil and development of its activities in Brazil.
- Represented a major mining company in the negotiation of several commercial agreements relating to the construction of a distribution terminal in Malaysia, in an operation involving US$1.4 billion.
- Represented a major mining company in negotiating different contracts relating to the construction of a US$ 4.34 billion steel mill in Brazil.
- Represented a Brazilian construction company in drafting and negotiating a strategic alliance agreement for construction of the world’s first ethanol pipeline.
- Represented a major mining company in negotiating the leasing agreements for different port facilities in Argentina.
- Represented a state-owned oil and gas company in connection with drafting and negotiating the EPC contract and other relevant agreements relating to construction of different FPSO units and platforms in Brazil.
- Representing a Japanese conglomerate in the financing of its supplier of coffee beans in Brazil and negotiation of the related securities.
- Represented a Canadian listed company in the sale of its Brazilian subsidiary (seismic division) to an American private equity fund.
- Represented a leading Japanese trading house in the acquisition of a minority participation in Geekie, Brazil's leading education technology company.
- Represented a leading Japanese general trading firm in the acquisition of shares to consolidate its position as the controlling shareholder of a Swiss company that owns the totality of the shares issued by a leading Brazilian agribusiness company.
- Represented a client in the due diligence for the acquisition of the 4th largest downstream company in Brazil.
- Represented the Sellers in the sale of the totality of the quotas issued by Conpet – Consultoria e Serviços de Petróleo Ltda., a company with expertise in cementing, acidizing, fracturing and multiple pumping operations in oil and gas wells, to Superior Energy Services - Serviços de Petróleo do Brasil Ltda., a company controlled by Superior Energy Services Inc.
- Represented a major energy company in its US$164 million purchase of Sociedade Fluminense de Energia (SFE).
- Represented the sellers in the sale of the totality of the quotas issued by Prest Perfurações Ltda, a drilling and workover services provider, to San Antonio International.
Oil, Gas, and Petrochemicals
- Representing a potential buyer on the due diligence of different upstream assets being offered by Petrobras.
- Represented China National Offshore Oil Corporation – CNOOC in the qualification for the 1st Pre-salt Bid Round in Brazil and all actions related to the payment of the signature bonus and signing of the 1st Production Sharing Agreement in Brazil – named 2013’ Regulatory Deal of the Year by Latin Lawyer magazine.
- Representing Sinochem in connection with all legal issues in Brazil, including exploration and production related transactions, joint ventures and regulatory work.
- Representing one of the members of an operating consortium in the drafting and negotiation of all documents related to the joint operation of the Libra field, the first contract signed under the PSA regime in Brazil.
- Represented Niko Resources in connection with all legal issues in Brazil, including exploration and production related transactions, joint ventures and regulatory work.
- Represented Trayectoria in connection with all legal issues in Brazil, including the negotiation of Farmout Agreements.
- Representing a major Brazilian drilling company in all legal issues in Brazil.
- Representing Ecopetrol in connection with due diligence for the acquisition of participating interests in oil & gas contracts in Brazil and Angola.
- Representing a Japanese oil company in connection with all legal issues in Brazil, including exploration and production related transactions, joint ventures and regulatory work.
- Represented CEPSA S.A. in connection with due diligence and negotiation of documents for the acquisition of a participating interest in an oil & gas concession in Brazil.
- Represented Sonangol, in negotiation of contracts for exploration and production of petroleum in the Quaiyarah and Najmah contract areas in Iraq.
- Represented Rowan Companies in the organization of its operations in and negotiations of drilling contracts in Angola.
- Represented SK Energy Co., Ltd. in certain issues related to the US$2.4 billion sale of its Brazilian assets to Mærsk Olie Og Gas A/S.
- Represented an investment company in the acquisition of an oil refinery in Germany.
- Representing the owner of projects and licenses for the construction of a thermoelectric power plan in Brazil in its ongoing discussions with potential investors.
- Represented Seller in the sale of a transmission line connecting Montes Claros Pirapora 2 to 2, 345 kV and 151 km long, with two new substations 500 kV, to State Grid.
- Represented an investor in drafting and negotiation of documents related to the acquisition of a 120MW hydroelectric power plant in Brazil.
- Represented a major mining company in the negotiation of several commercial agreements relating to the project financing for construction of a coal-fired power plant in Maputo, Mozambique, including the coal supply agreement and power purchase agreements.
- Represented a state-owned oil and gas company in due diligence and negotiation for the acquisition of several thermoelectric plants in Brazil.
- Represented the construction division of a Chinese investment company in drafting and negotiating the EPC contract and other agreements related to the construction of a 350 MW thermoelectric power plant in Brazil, in an operation involving US$350 million.
- Represented a major mining company in the negotiation of several commercial agreements relating to the development of a mining project in Guinea, in an operation involving over US$1 billion.
- Represented a major mining company in the negotiation of several sale and purchase agreements, long-term and spot, for the sale of iron ore, coal, nickel, phosphate rock and other minerals.
Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio), LLB
University of Pennsylvania Law School, LLM
The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Certificate in Business and Public Policies
Inscriptions au Barreau
- England and Wales
- Member, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
- Member, Brazilian Institute of Corporate Governance (IBGC)
- "Victor Galante, who earns plaudits for his “sincerity, readiness to assist and expertise." Chambers Latin America 2018 - Corporate and M&A
- "a highly intelligent lawyer." Chambers Latin America 2018
- "Galante is an extremely competent counsel; his knowledge of the corporate world allows him to provide effective and high-quality legal advice with a focus on the needs of business teams and the requirements of legal departments." Client Choice Awards
- "hard-working and capable" Chambers Latin America 2017
- "Mr Galante's practice stands apart from those of other lawyers because his legal advice is not focused solely on a strict understanding of the law, but also on how to adapt the law to business realities." "I was very impressed with him; he is accessible at any time, even from the other side of the world." "Mr Galante is an extremely competent counsel; his knowledge of the corporate world allows him to provide effective and high-quality legal advice with a focus on the needs of business teams and the requirements of legal departments." "His professionalism, profound industry understanding and good commercial sense ensured that the deal went through smoothly." Client Choice Awards 2016
- "Worthy of note." Latin Lawyer 250 2016