Raphael Furtado is an associate in the Tax practice of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown in the São Paulo office. He has broad experience in tax analysis in structuring foreign direct investment, mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, debt restructuring and transactions in the financial and capital markers.
He is an author of several articles on tax planning, international taxation and taxation of new technologies. Raphael is also a teacher and coordinator of the “Tax Planning Course” at the Brazilian Institute of Tax Education – IBET.
Before joining Tauil & Chequer, he was an associate of important Brazilian law firms and held an in-house position at OI S.A, a major player in the Brazilian telecom industry, leading several projects involving fixed and mobile telephony, cable television, infrastructure sharing, submarine cables, data-centers and over-the-top services.
- Advised an important company in the energy sector (Queiroz Galvão Energia - currently Ibitu Energia) in the modeling and implementation of the out-of-court restructuring plan, including tax aspects of the renegotiation with creditors, strategies for to set-off intercompany debts and reorganization of assets and liabilities for implementation of the restructuring plan.
- Advised an oil and gas E&P company (PetroRecôncavo) in project finance for the acquisition of 34 onshore oil fields owned by Petrobrás.
- Assisted a telecom company (OI S.A.) in the corporate reorganization to execute the sale of mobile division, towers, data-centers and pay TV division and also in and contractual and tax modeling of InfraCo, operator's optical fiber division which will work as a neutral carrier controlled by a private equity firm.
- Assisted Uruguayan state-owned telecommunications company (ANTEL) in setting-up its operations in Brazil, including cross-border contracts with technology companies and joint-building agreements for construction of submarine telecom and internet cables.
- Advised a real estate major company in the reorganization of assets and listing to set-up the initial public offering of a real estate investment fund leveraged by the issuance of Certificates of Real Estate Receivables (CRIs).
- Universidade de São Paulo, Master of Laws in Tax Law
- London School of Economics and Political Science, LLM, Taxation
- Universidade Federal Fluminense (UFF), Specialization in Financial and Tax Law
- Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ), Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
Inscription au Barreau
Engagement professionnel et communautaire
- Teacher and coordinator of “Tax Planning Course” (executive education), Brazilian Institute of Tax Education – IBET.