Gonçalo Falcão continues to be well regarded in the Angolan market for the depth of his knowledge in the oil and gas sector. As part of his practice he often handles corporate, tax and labour mandates. Falcão is based in Rio de Janeiro.Chambers Global, 2023 - General Business Law: International Law Firms - Angola
Gonçalo Falcão is a partner in the Rio de Janeiro office of Tauil & Chequer Advogados´ International Tax Matters and Corporate & Securities practices. He represents clients around the globe and particularly throughout Africa, including Angola, Mozambique, Cape Verde, Equatorial Guinea, and São Tomé & Príncipe. Much of his work in these countries involves representing oil and gas exploration and production companies and service providers. Gonçalo also has substantial experience in oil and gas, corporate, foreign investment, labor and immigration, and foreign exchange matters. He is licensed to practice law in both Brazil and Portugal.
Before joining that firm, he practiced law for five years at offices in Portugal and Brazil as a member of the Miranda Law Firm. He also practiced in Portugal from 1998 to 2004 with several other firms, including KPMG (as Tax Manager), Castro Silva & Associados and Arthur Andersen. Gonçalo is fluent in English and Spanish as well as Portuguese.
Gonçalo Falcão served as a Tax professor at the Energy (Oil & Gas) and Corporate Law LLMs of the Luanda (Angola) Agostinho Neto Faculty of Law. Currently, Gonçalo Falcão is a professor of Corporate Finance at the Energy LLM of the Portuguese Catholic University (Lisbon) Faculty of Law.
- Represented numerous international oil companies and their subsidiaries (including both operators and non-operators) in tax disputes in Angola regarding Petroleum Income Tax assessments for various Blocks
- Represented two international oil and gas companies at the Angolan Petroleum Income Tax taxable income Fixation and Reviewing Committees
- Provided tax assistance to various oil and gas E&P operators in Angola, Mozambique, São Tomé e Príncipe and Equatorial Guinea
- Provided tax assistance to various oil and gas industry service providers operating in Angola, Mozambique, São Tomé & Príncipe and Equatorial Guinea
- Represented Angola LNG Project sponsor companies in the drafting of the Angola LNG Project Decree Law, including the development and drafting of the Angola LNG Project tax regime
- Provided tax assistance to major Brazilian construction companies in Angola and Mozambique
- Assisted various companies in Europe on the application of International Double Taxation Treaties (OECD Model) involving Portugal, Spain, Brazil, Germany, and the United States
- Negotiating several petroleum E&P concessions in existence in Angola on behalf of foreign oil companies; This included the drafting of concession statutes, Production Sharing Agreements or Association Contracts, Joint Operating Agreements, carry or financing agreements, and other documents typical of an Angolan E&P concession
- Advising several oil companies in concluding farm-ins and farm-outs of the working interests in Angolan concessions
- Advising a company in an $800 million farm-out of interest in oil concession in Angola
- Advising a company in a $5 billion LNG project
- Advised several companies in negotiations of joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions in Angola and Portugal
- Advised several companies with the drafting of by-laws and shareholder agreements in Angola and Portugal
- Advised several companies on compliance with foreign investment procedures in Angola and Mozambique
- Advised several companies in setting up their business structures in Angola and Mozambique in compliance with the labor law, immigration requirements and foreign exchange control requirements
- Worked with ALSF on a project involving legal assistance to the Oil & Gas Regulatory Agency of São Tomé & Príncipe regarding the negotiation of a Seismic Data Brokerage Agreement with an international service provider.
- Advised the Angola Oil & Gas Regulatory Agency reviewing and developing new legislation aimed as to (i) increase the oil production in mature fields, (ii) boost new developments in mature concessions and generally (iii) increase the competitiveness of the Angola Oil & Gas framework vis-à-vis other jurisdictions while competing to secure investments in the Energy Sector.
- Working pro-bono for the Texas Children Hospital with the aim of creating an non-profitable association in Angola to train medical staff and improve children care.
Portuguese Catholic University , Graduate of Law (JD equivalent)
Inscription au Barreau
- Member, Brazilian Bar Association (OAB)
- Member, Portuguese Bar Association (OAP)
- Ranked as “Highly Recommended” in Energy at Latin Lawyer 250, 2024
- Ranked as Highly regarded in IFLR from 2018 to 2021
- Ranked for 12 years as Foreign Expert in Angola for Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas - Brazil in Chambers Global, 2023
- Ranked for 8 years as Angola expertise based abroad, Band 3, for General Business Law: International Firms – Angola in Chambers Global, 2023
- Gonçalo Falcão is held in high regard for his considerable experience assisting clients with oil and gas exploration matters in Angola, Mozambique and Cabo Verde, as well as in Equatorial Guinea and São Tomé e Príncipe. – Chambers Global, 2023 - Energy and Natural Resources: Oil and Gas – Angola
- Gonçalo Falcão continues to be well regarded in the Angolan market for the depth of his knowledge in the oil and gas sector. As part of his practice he often handles corporate, tax and labour mandates. Falcão is based in Rio de Janeiro. – Chambers Global, 2023 - General Business Law: International Law Firms - Angola
- Gonçalo Falcão (Foreign Expertise in Angola) is held in high regard for his considerable experience assisting clients with oil and gas exploration matters in Angola, Mozambique and Cabo Verde, as well as in Equatorial Guinea and São Tomé e Príncipe. Gonçalo Falcão’s (Expertise based abroad in Brazil) continues to be well regarded in the Angolan market for the depth of his knowledge in the oil and gas sector. As part of his practice he often handles corporate, tax and labour mandates. A source reported that he is "very good in tax" while another described him as "very good technically," adding that he is "very competent, focused and proactive." He is based in Rio de Janeiro. – Chambers Global 2021
- A source reported that he is "very good in tax" while another described him as "very good technically," adding that he is "very competent, focused and proactive." – Chambers Global 2021
- Gonçalo Falcão’s (Expertise based abroad in Brazil) “is a well-known practitioner in the Angolan market. He ably assists with corporate and tax matters, with further knowledge of matters arising in the energy and natural resources sector.” – Chambers Global 2020
- Co-head of the firm's Africa desk Gonçalo Falcão (Foreign Expertise in Angola) has noteworthy experience representing clients in oil and gas exploration matters in Angola, Mozambique and Cabo Verde, as well as in Equatorial Guinea and São Tomé e Príncipe. – Chambers Global 2020
- Gonçalo Falcão is highlighted for his active practice in the oil and gas sector and strong presence in Angola. Impressed clients note that "he undertakes cases with a results-driven perspective." – Chamber Global 2019
- "I am very happy to work with him. He is a very valuable adviser to us."
- "He has a robust knowledge of the local law. He always does his best to comply with our often impressively short deadlines."
Chambers Global, ed. 2017
- "I was particularly impressed with him. He's accessible at any time, has very quick response times and is very clued in to what is going on in Angola." - Chambers Global, 2015
- "Also worthy of note are Gonçalo Falcão, Leonardo Costa and Victor Galante [in the Oil & Gas practice]" Latin Lawyer 250 2016 - Energy
- "Gonçalo Falcão has a strong record advising clients from the upstream oil sector. He also assists clients with a range of corporate matters, including foreign investments, labour and immigration matters. " Chambers Global 2016 - General Business Law - Angola