Joe Kamho Choy is a senior associate in the Hong Kong office of Mayer Brown's Employment & Benefits practice. He advises employers on all aspect of employment-related issues, including recruitment; structuring of employment relationship; variation of employment terms and benefits; termination of employment; enforceability of non-compete clauses; personal data issues; disciplinary matters; and labour relations. He also handles employment disputes and has experience in conducting proceedings at all levels of the courts of Hong Kong.
Joe also advises on retirement scheme matters, including establishment, maintenance and restructuring of occupational retirement schemes and mandatory provident fund schemes, as well as other related services.
Joe is regularly involved in M&A deals and advises on employment and retirement scheme issues arising from the transactions.
Joe speaks English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Conducted and coordinated a regional review of employment-related documentation for a global investment firm (including offer letter, confidentiality and restrictive covenants agreement, separation letter, incentive schemes and employee manual).
- Advised a leading e-commerce and technology company in China on all aspect of employment and data privacy issues, and assisted one of its subsidiary with its redundancy exercises in multiple jurisdictions.
- Acted for a major bank in Hong Kong in defending a claim for wrongful dismissal brought by a senior private banker in the Labour Tribunal.
- Acted for a global investment bank headquartered in Europe in defending a claim for wrongful dismissal brought by a senior manager in the High Court.
- Advised a UK-based startup on structuring the arrangement with thousands of workers and on other HR-related issues.
- Advised a major securities firm in China on structuring employment relationship with researchers and report writers in multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised a global financial investment management company on its acquisition of retirement schemes businesses in Hong Kong.
- Advised a multi-national, multi disciplined commercial group on retirement scheme issues arising from its disposal of a subsidiary.
- Advised a major bank in Hong Kong on winding up of its existing retirement scheme and establishment of a new scheme under a pooled arrangement.
- Advised a statutory body in a complaint for disability discrimination lodged by a former employee with the Equal Opportunities Commission.
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
The University of Hong Kong, LLB
Inscriptions au Barreau
- Hong Kong
- Vice President, Youth Committee, Beijing Returned Overseas Chinese Federation (2018 – present)
- Honorary Legal Advisor and Vice President of Professionals Committee, the Hong Kong CPPCC Youth Association (2015 - Present)
- Vice President, Youth Committee, the Hong Kong Overseas Chinese General Association (2016 - Present)
- Honorary Legal Advisor, GuangDong-Hong Kong- Macau Greater Bay Area Youth Association (2020 – present)
- Vice President, the Longgang Youth Overseas Chinese Chamber of Commerce (2013 - Present)
- Member, Hong Kong Professionals and Senior Executive Association (2020 – present)