“Insightful and innovative. Has depth in the subject matter.”IFLR1000 (2020)
Angelia Chia is a partner in Mayer Brown's Singapore office and a member of Mayer Brown's Global Finance Practice Group. Angelia has over 20 years of experience in Trade and Trade Finance spanning the globe including from (i) the sale and purchase of goods (including commodities) and services across various industry segments; (ii) the financing of trade using a variety of financing products from traditional (or documentary trade) to open account (including supply chain finance techniques) and (iii) the mitigation or distribution of risks arising from trade (where her in-depth knowledge of trade finance products and processing ensures the organisation complies with its obligations set out in the distribution agreements). Angelia has a wealth of experience in different jurisdictions and how jurisdictional aspects impact industry rules (e.g., UCP600, URR725, URDG758 and ISP98), laws on assignment of financial assets, laws pertaining to negotiable instruments and enforcement over security. She has also been involved and resolved disputes (pre-litigation) deploying practical strategies in day-to-day issues faced by financial institutions.
Angelia’s unique advisory capability stems from her in-house experience in Cargill, JPMorgan and most recently Standard Chartered Bank where she was global head of legal for trade, ensuring she can provide comprehensive end-to-end advice covering the myriad of issues faced by clients as they manage the interplay of laws, regulations, industry rules, systems and policies in the confines of the organisation’s operational requirements. Angelia is an active member of the ICC Legal and BAFT Committees, is internationally recognised for her trade advisory experience and speaks English and Mandarin.
- Acted for one of the top Trade Finance banks to provide end to end advisory and transactional support across the full spectrum of Trade Finance products (both documentary and open account Trade), Trade Services and risk mitigation across all client segments for its global business.
- Acted for global banks in relation to advising and drafting various Trade Finance and Trade Services template documents taking into account product, regulatory, operational and client segment requirements.
- Acted for global banks in relation to advising, structuring and negotiating bespoke structured lending and trade finance agreements (both bilateral and syndicated formats) including relevant security documentation.
- Acted for global banks in relation to drafting and negotiating bespoke agreements on export side products such as examination, presentation and confirmation products.
- Acted for global banks in relation to advising, structuring and drafting mixed payment Letter of Credit terms and conditions for complex financing transactions taking into account distribution requirements.
- Acted for global banks in relation to advising, structuring and drafting Standby Letter of Credit terms and conditions for acquisition financing deals.
- Acted for global banks in relation to advising, structuring and negotiating cross border receivables purchase, bills discounting and supply chain finance deals taking into account distribution requirements.
- Acted for global banks in relation to advising, negotiating and drafting risk mitigation agreements (both bilateral and portfolio, funded and unfunded) with financial institutions, insurance companies and multi-lateral development banks to optimize balance sheet usage and taking into account product, regulatory, operational and client segment requirements.
- Acted for a global bank in relation to structured funding transactions to optimize liquidity availability.
- Acted for global banks in relation to advising on trade finance disputes including UCP600 letter of credit documentary discrepancy dispute.
- Acted for a corporate in relation to structuring and negotiating structured trade finance deals.
- Acted for a corporate in relation to sale and purchase of goods (including energy, hard and soft commodities).
- Acted for a corporate in relation to off take agreements.
University of London, Bachelor of Law
Board of Legal Education, Singapore, Postgraduate Practical Law Course
Inscriptions au Barreau
- Middle Temple
- Member, ICC Legal Committee
- Member, BAFT Asia Trade Committee
- Highly Regarded - Banking, Singapore – IFLR1000 (2019-2021)
- “Insightful and innovative. Has depth in the subject matter.” – IFLR1000 (2020)