"Keith Cheung is 'a safe pair of hands as he prioritises and protects our interests, even under critical time conditions.'"Chambers Asia Pacific (2010)
Keith Cheung is a partner of Mayer Brown. He advises on all aspects of debt financing from plain vanilla loan transactions to structuring of acquisition, receivable or other secured financing. He acts for banks and real estate developers in connection with facilities for the acquisition and/or development of real estate in Hong Kong and the PRC including real estate-related notes issues like securitisation. Having experienced up and down of the property market in Hong Kong, he also advises banks on taking of collaterals and their enforcement (including risks involved) in difficult times.
Keith is a China Appointed Attesting Officer (appointed by the Ministry of Justice of PRC). He has been listed as a leading Banking and Finance lawyer by Chambers Asia Pacific, Legal 500 Asia Pacific and IFLR1000. "Keith Cheung focuses on real estate financing and acquisitions. Clients praise him as someone who is knowledgeable on the legal side of real estate, but also the commercial aspect: ‘You have to be an entrepreneur in this area, and he is one. He is very savvy, advising us on all the risks we could face’" (Chambers Asia Pacific 2014).
- Acted on numerous syndicated financing of developers in a joint venture with the Mass Transit Railway Corporation (MTRC) in the development of railway sites along different MTRC lines.
- Acted for banks on numerous acquisition financing or refinancing of property portfolio acquired by institutional investors (including Macquarie Goodman group, Morgan Stanley Group, JP Morgan Group).
- Acted for the sponsor and issuer on the largest commercial property rental receivables securitisation in Hong Kong.
- Acted on numerous syndicated financing of developers in a joint venture with Urban Renewal Authority in an urban redevelopment project.
- Acted on numerous syndicated or bilateral financing of government auction/tender sites put on the market, financing both premium and development cost of the development in question.
- Acted on the HK$4 billion refinancing for Lifestyle International Holding Group, the operator of SOGO department store in Hong Kong.
- Acted for a syndicate of banks and financial institutions on a HK$7.2 billion financing transaction, financing the acquisition of real estate by a REIT in Hong Kong.
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
The University of Hong Kong, LLB
Inscription au Barreau
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong
- Top 100 Elite Lawyers (Foreign Firms) for China-related business - China Business Law Journal's A-List (2019, 2020)
- Highly Regarded Lawyer - Hong Kong, Banking – IFLR1000 (2019-2022)
- Leading Lawyer - Hong Kong, Banking – IFLR1000 (2014-2017)
- Leading Individual - China (International Firms), Real Estate: Hong Kong-based – Chambers Asia Pacific (2014, 2015)
- Leading Individual - China (International Firms), Banking & Finance: Hong Kong-based – Chambers Asia Pacific (2011-2014)
- "wins plaudits for delivering 'a very high standard of service' to his clients" – Chambers Asia Pacific (2012)
- "maintaining close working relationships via ongoing dialogue and being willing to entertain ad hoc queries" – Chambers Asia Pacific (2011)
- Endorsed by PLC Which Lawyer? (2011) (Banking: lenders and borrowers)