Avocat aux Barreaux de Colombie et de Paris, José Caicedo est Associé dans le département International Arbitration à Mayer Brown Paris.
Disposant d’une expérience de plus de 10 ans en matière d’arbitrage international, José est intervenu dans plus de 50 arbitrages internationaux, soit en qualité de conseil, soit en qualité d’arbitre. Jouissant d’une expertise reconnue en droit international public, José concentre sa pratique sur les arbitrages d’investissement, notamment les arbitrages CIRDI.
Auteur de nombreux articles de doctrine de fond sur le droit international, notamment le règlement des différends internationaux, José a donné de nombreuses conférences sur ces sujets, en particulier au Lauterpracht Institute de l’Université de Cambridge. José est aussi titulaire de la qualification de Maître de conférence et a enseigné la philosophie politique, la philosophie du droit, le droit international privé, le droit international public et le droit des investissements étrangers à l’Université du Rosaire, à l’Institut d’Études Politiques de Paris et à l’Université de Poitiers.
Il parle le français, l’anglais et l’espagnol.
- Counsel for an Arab State in a pending ICSID Arbitration against a French company concerning a license to collect and treat waste. The amount in dispute exceeds €130 million.
- Counsel for a Kuwaiti investor in a pending ICSID Arbitration against Jordan concerning the imposition of an income tax. The amount in dispute exceeds €60 million.
- Counsel for a Dutch and a Lebanese companies in an ICC arbitration against a Dutch company concerning an intellectual property license agreement applicable in the Middle East, where the restitution of trademarks is sought.
- Counsel for a West African State in two ICSID Arbitrations against a mining company incorporated in the Cayman Islands. The amount in dispute exceeded US$ 36 million. The dispute was settled.
- Counsel for a West African State in a pending ICSID Arbitration against the subsidiary of a mining company over the termination of a mining license in that country. The amount in dispute exceeds US$ 43 million.
- Counsel for a West-African State in a pending LMAA Arbitration against a Greek company arising from a joint venture aimed at acquiring and exploiting ferries. The amount in dispute exceeds US$ 11 million.
- Counsel for a US investor and his US companies in pending ICSID Arbitration proceedings against an Eastern-European State. The dispute relates to the expropriation of the Claimants’ investments in the press distribution industry as well as in real estate. The amount in dispute exceeds US$ 200 million.
- Counsel for a Middle Eastern food company in an ICC Arbitration against its Middle Eastern partner over the breach of their Joint Venture Agreement, with an amount in dispute of US$ 38 million. The dispute was settled.
- Counsel for a South American State in an ICSID Arbitration against a French oil company regarding the modification of participation contracts. The amount in dispute exceeded US$ 220 million.
- Counsel for a South American State in an ICSID Arbitration against a US oil company arising from the termination of a participation contract. The amount in dispute exceeded US$ 3 billion.
- Counsel for an Argentine company in an ICSID Arbitration against a South American country concerning a concession to build and operate a highway.
- Counsel for a South American State in a UNCITRAL Arbitration against a South American company arising from the termination of telecommunication license.
- Counsel for a South-American State in an ICSID Arbitration against a South American company arising from the termination of a mining concession. The amount in dispute exceeded US$ 60 million.
- Advisor for a Washington-based NGO in a case brought on behalf of Haitian residents in the Dominican Republic before the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights concerning the right to be granted Dominican nationality.
- Advisor for an NGO in a case brought before Haitian courts against Jean-Claude Duvalier by the relatives of missing persons.
Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne, Doctorat, with highest honors
(doctoral thesis honored with a special mention at the Prix Suzanne Bastid 2006 for best doctoral thesis in International Law of the year from a French or francophone university)
Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne, DEA droit international public et organisations internationales, with honors
Université Paris II Panthéon-Assas, DEA Philosophie du droit et philosophie politique
University of El Rosario Bogota (Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Senora desl Rosario), Doctor en Jurisprudencia
Inscriptions au Barreau
- Republic of Colombia
Continually recommended by the legal directories as a Leading Individual :
- “Counsel José Caicedo ‘is a brilliant litigator in hearings, with a fast and agile mind’.” Legal 500 EMEA (2018)
- The new edition of Global Arbitration Review 100 (GAR 100), a peer review guide to the legal profession has recognized José Caicedo as one of the leading International Arbitration practitioners in France. (2016)
- The new edition of Who’s Who Legal, a review guide in business law based upon comprehensive and independent research has recognized José Caicedo as one of the "Non-Partners aged 45 or under who are considered to be the future leaders of the international arbitration community”. (2016)
- The new edition of Décideurs, a french media and rating agency for top executives has recognized José Caicedo as "excellent" in Interntaional Arbitration. (2016)