Legal 500 2023
'Rebecca Bothamley is a standout partner in the corporate department.’
Rebecca Bothamley is a partner in the Corporate & Securities practice of the London office focusing on cross-border M&A and equity capital markets transactions. As part of the Public Companies & Capital Markets team, Beccy has particular experience acting for public and private companies and their boards across various industry sectors including insurance, industrials, mining and TMT & Entertainment. Beccy is the ‘go to’ trusted advisor to a number of companies on their day to day corporate, corporate finance, commercial and other matters as well as leading on their M&A, joint ventures and transformative transactions, particularly complex cross-border and transatlantic deals.
Beccy is well known and regarded in the insurance market and leads the UK transactional liability practice. She regularly advises both buyers of transactional liability insurance products as well as a number of insurers in the market.
Beccy joined Mayer Brown in 2005. In 2015, Beccy spent a year on secondment to Mayer Brown’s New York office where she undertook a broad range of work advising clients on US focused mergers & acquisitions and advised on US securities laws.
- Advised Sword Group on the sale of Sword GRC to Riskonnect (TA Associates).
- Advised Generac Holdings Inc on its acquisition of Deep Sea Electronics from Caledonia Investments.
- Advised Mitie Group plc on six acquisitions in 2021/2022 including their acquisitions of Custom Solar Ltd, Biotecture Limited, Rock Power Connections Limited, Dael Ventures, P2ML as well as the 8point8 and Vantage group of companies.
- Advised Mitie Group plc on the sale of its document management business to Swiss Post.
- Advised Rina SpA, the holding company of the multinational testing, inspection, certification and consulting engineering (TIC-CE) group for the Energy industry, on the acquisition of the entire share capital of Edif Group Limited for £118.5 million.
TMT / Entertainment
- Advised Hasbro Inc., on the UK aspects of its sale of the eOne music division for c.US$385 million to Blackstone.
- Advised Entertainment One over the course of 12 years, including on its US$4 billion sale to Hasbro, Inc. which completed in December 2019 as well as a number of M&A transactions including:
- eOne’s acquisition of 70 percent of the entire issued share capital of Astley Baker Davies Limited, the UK-based creator and producer of Peppa Pig, that jointly holds the ownership rights to Peppa Pig with Entertainment One, for £140 million, and the related Rights Issue to fund the acquisition raising £200 million;
- eOne’s CAD$225 million acquisition of Alliance Films, the major Canadian film distribution company, related placing raising £110 million and re-financing of its credit facilities of CAD$360 million;
- eOne’s £178 million acquisition of Audio Networks and its £130 million equity placing;
- eOne’s acquisition of a 70% shareholding in WhizzKid Entertainment;
- eOne’s acquisition of 51% of The Mark Gordon Company in 2015 and acquisition of the remaining 51% in 2018 for US$209 million.
- Advised Shearwater Group plc since its formation including on its reverse takeover of SecurEnvoy Limited (a leading provider of multifactor authentication software) funded by a placing and open offer in 2017 and its reverse takeover of Brookcourt Solutions in 2018, as well as multiple other acquisitions and equity fundraises.
Mining / Energy
- Advised Toro Gold, the privately held gold producer with its main asset in Senegal, on the sale of its entire share capital to Resolute Mining for c.US$300 million.
- Advised the Klesch Group on its contract to buy the Milford Haven oil refinery in Wales from Murco Petroleum.
- Advised North Sea oil & gas operator ATP Oil & Gas (UK) Limited on its proposed sale (authorised by the United States Bankruptcy Court (Texas Division)) by ATP Corporation (in Chapter 11) to Alpha Petroleum (UK) Holdings Limited by way of a UK Insolvency Act creditors voluntary arrangement.
- Advised African Eagle Resources plc on the disposal of certain of its Zambian copper assets to Elephant Copper Ltd, its placing and open offer to fund its bank feasibility study for its Dutwa nickel project in Tanzania and the subsequent sake of substantially all of its business and assets to Blackdown Resources (UK) Limited.
- Advised Genel Energy on its $4.2 billion merger with Vallares plc (now Genel Energy plc) to create a FTSE 250 upstream oil and gas company operating in the Kurdistan region of Iraq.
- Advised Beazley on the sale of its US based ‘Beazley Benefits’ business to Globe Life for c.$60m.
- Advised the Hartford on its divestment of certain continental European operations in a complex transaction involving multiple buyers.
- Advised Enstar on the $420 million loss portfolio transfer deal to take on certain legacy liabilities from Liberty Mutual.
- Advised Aspen on its acquisition of Liberty's UK regional property and casualty business.
- Advised Assured Guaranty Ltd., the world’s leading financial guaranty insurer, on its $347 million acquisition of MBIA UK Insurance Limited, the European operating subsidiary of MBIA Corp.
- Advised Beazley Group plc on its acquisition of Creechurch MGA in Canada.
- Regularly advises a number of insurers in the warranty & indemnity insurance market in London and the United States.
- Advised two leading insurers on their renewal rights agreements.
EQUITY CAPITAL MARKETS
- Regularly advises a number of listed and AIM traded companies on various public company matters including the Listing Rules, AIM Rules, MAR as well as advising on corporate governance matters.
- Advised three special purpose acquisition vehicles (SPACs) – Red Capital, Acceler8 Ventures and Bay Capital – on their respective IPOs on the main market of the London Stock Exchange.
- Advised Tungsten West on its £40m equity fundraise, debt financing and admission to AIM with an initial market capitalisation of £106 million.
- Advised Beazley plc on its $350 million institutional placing led by JP Morgan Cazenove.
- Advised IG Design Group plc, the world's largest consumer gift packaging business, on an accelerated bookbuild placing to raise proceeds of £120 million to acquire 100 percent of the equity interest in CSS Industries, Inc.,
- Advised Entertainment One on its move to a premium listing on the main market of the London Stock Exchange.
- Advised Velocys plc on c.£130 million of placings over a number of years to fund the ongoing development of its technology for advanced renewable fuel plants in the UK and US.
- Advised Oxford BioDynamics plc on its admission to AIM with a market capitalisation of £150 million and a £20 million fundraising.
Nottingham Law School
University of East Anglia, LLM
University of East Anglia, LLB (Hons)
University of Maastricht (the Netherlands)
Inscription au Barreau
- England and Wales
- Listed as a key lawyer for Insurance: Corporate and Regulatory, M&A, Media and Entertainment and TMT. 'Rebecca Bothamley is a standout partner in the corporate department.’ (Legal 500 2023).
- Listed as a key lawyer for Equity Capital Markets, Insurance: Corporate and Regulatory and Media and Entertainment; and as a notable individual for Equity Capital Markets (Legal 500 2022).
- Listed as a key lawyer for Equity Capital Markets, Media and Entertainment and Insurance. Rebecca Bothamley is valued by clients for her knowledge of transactional liability issues. (Legal 500 2021).
- Listed under 'Other key lawyers' 'Rebecca Bothamley is honest, pragmatic, and provides market insight. She has shown a lot of flexibility delivering a product that best fits our requirements.' (Legal 500 2020 Insurance).
- Recommended Rebecca Bothamley 'a junior partner who can run a transaction like a senior partner' (Legal 500 2020 Equity capital markets).
- Notable practitioner (IFLR 1000 2019 - Capital markets : Equity and M&A).