"Edward Best's 'extremely quick mind' makes him a popular figure among lawyers and clients alike. 'He is never stumped by a question...'"Chambers USA
Edward Best joined Mayer Brown in 1986 and steadily built a successful capital markets and corporate law practice. Today, he is co-leader of the firm's Capital Markets practice. He is widely recognized as one of the nation's leading capital markets attorneys. Eddie's experience includes:
Capital Markets. Representing issuers and underwriters in connection with public and Rule 144A offerings of debt, equity, convertible and hybrid securities in the US and Europe; continuously offered debt and equity programs; liability management transactions, including equity and debt self-tenders, exchange offers, and consent solicitations; particular emphasis on offerings by financial institutions, including banks, insurance companies, brokers and specialty finance companies, and cross-border offerings.
Mergers and Acquisitions. Counseling buyers, sellers, and financial intermediaries in connection with public and private acquisitions, joint ventures, divestitures, mergers, tender offers, and proxy contests.
General Corporate Practice. Advising companies regarding Securities Act and Exchange Act compliance, NYSE and NASDAQ compliance, corporate governance, and Sarbanes-Oxley Act matters.
Chambers USA noted that "Edward Best's 'extremely quick mind' makes him a popular figure among lawyers and clients alike. 'He is never stumped by a question . . ..'" Eddie has been described as "Aptly named, as he's one of the best in town," and as "A 'stand-out debt and equity' lawyer." Legal500 recommended Eddie in "Capital Markets - Debt Advice to Issuers" and "Capital Markets - High-Yield - Advice to Managers," noting that Eddie is "chief amongst [Mayer Brown's excellent partners]." Eddie is also listed in Who's Who Legal, Best Lawyers in America for Securities Law, the Guide to the World's Leading Capital Market Lawyers, The International Who's Who of Capital Markets Lawyers (2007), and the International Who's Who of Business Lawyers (2008). In addition, he has been named among the "Leading Lawyers" in Illinois in the categories of Corporate Finance Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, and Securities and Venture Finance Law.
Loyola University Chicago School of Law, JD, cum laude
Research Editor, Loyola University of Chicago Law Journal
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, AB
Inscriptions au Barreau
- New York
- American Bar Association, Sub-committee on Federal Regulation of Securities
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent School of Law, 1996, 1997
- Named "Client Service All-Star" by BTI Consulting 2007, 2009, 2012
- Listed in both Chambers Global (2012) and Chambers USA (2012) for Capital Markets: Debt & Equity
- Listed in The International Who's Who of Capital Markets Lawyers 2012
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Securities Law
- "His easygoing manner, knowledge and hands-on approach make his clients extremely comfortable" Chambers Global 2012 - Capital Markets; Debt & Equity: US
- He is lauded as a 'very strong lawyer' in capital markets work on behalf of major insurance companies.” Chambers USA 2011 - Insurance: Transactional & regulatory: Illinois
- Named as a "Leading Lawyer" in the IFLR Guide to the World's Leading Capital Markets Lawyers
- Named to Leading Lawyers in Illinois in Corporate Finance Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, and Securities & Venture Finance Law
- Named in Legal 500 - Capital Markets - Debt offering - for providing "excellent underwriter counsel"
- Named as one of 24 "Best of the Best 2010" capital markets lawyers by The Legal Media Group Guides to the World's Leading Lawyers
- Named in The Legal Media Group Guides to the World's Leading Lawyers as a leading capital markets lawyer
- "Aptly named as he's one of the best in town." "A 'stand-out debt and equity' lawyer." - Who's Who Legal