"Tim is a very good lawyer who is all over climate change matters."Chambers UK
Tim Baines advises companies and financial institutions in the real estate, energy and sustainability sectors. Clients leverage his knowledge of UK planning and environmental regimes, renewables incentives regimes, and emissions and climate-related matters.
Tim often lectures on UK environmental law and renewable energy topics. In addition to his native English, Tim speaks fluent French.
Environmental and planning
- A US-based international corporation on the impact of corporate sustainability disclosure requirements across a number of jurisdictions.
- A major investment bank's environment, social and governance (ESG) legal working group on its ESG obligations.
- The owners of a large London office block on changes to S. 106 obligations and refinancing as well as environmental (EU ETS and SECR) regimes.
- A US-based fund on its bid for a multi-site chemicals business on remediation liabilities and potential indemnities / insurance solutions.
- The seller of part of a German chemicals business in conjunction with local counsel on environmental liabilities at several sites.
- A property investor on the environmental and planning issues relating to its purchase of many storage and distribution warehouses across England.
- In conjunction with JLL, on the application of Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (SECR) to several large companies.
- The private equity purchasers of an electronic cigarette business on e-cigarette regulatory issues and planning matters.
- The private equity purchasers of caravan and holiday cottages businesses on planning and environmental risks.
- A property developer on the planning elements of many development acquisitions.
- The owners of a services business on the environmental and health and safety issues relating to a cyanide spill.
- On highways agreements and stopping up orders.
- On environmental due diligence in respect of a range of acquisitions and disposals of energy facilities, including in the onshore wind, offshore wind, biomass, shale gas and landfill gas and solar PV sectors.
- On a broad range of licences and consents in respect of the development of one of the UK's largest offshore wind farms.
- A US-based international corporation on numerous voluntary carbon reduction projects that will be implemented within its supply chain.
- A Hong Kong-based shipping company on its voluntary emissions offsetting program.
- A South American commodities company on the application of the EU emissions trading scheme to shipping.
- An exchange on the EU Auctioning Regulation in respect of EUAs.
- A global industry organisation on the implementation of benchmarking under the EU ETS Directive, including providing legal opinions and engaging in detailed discussions with the European Commission.
- The developer of a bio transport fuel from waste facility on the potential eligibility of the transport fuel that it produces to allow aircraft operators to reduce their emissions under the EU ETS / aviation legislation and on the application of the EU ETS to the facility itself.
- In respect of disputes relating to the ownership of EUAs relating to power generation facilities.
- In respect of a dispute in respect of the delivery of EU Credits under the ISDA emissions trading documentation.
- On a range of Emissions Reduction Purchase Agreements in respect of CDM and JI projects, including in respect of CDM Programmes of Activities, advance payment mechanisms, standard switching language, and option / post-2012 provisions.
- Numerous clients on the acquisition / disposal of portfolios of carbon credits.
London School of Economics (LSE)
La Sorbonne, Paris IV
BPP University Law School
Inscription au Barreau
- England and Wales
- Co-chair of Mayer Brown's London Work & Me Network
- Member of Steering Committee of Mayer Brown's London LGBT+ Network
- Member of Mayer Brown London Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Charities and Community Committee
- Mental Health First Aider
- Listed as Up and Coming for Environment and Climate Change, Tim Baines leads the environment practice at Mayer Brown. He boasts an impressive caseload which has seen him represent major investment firms in a plethora of matters concerning real estate, energy and sustainability. "He is very experienced in EU emissions trading." - Chambers UK 2024.
- Listed as a Next Generation Lawyer for Environment - Legal 500 2024
- Up and Coming: Environment. "Tim Baines leads the environment practice at Mayer Brown. He boasts an impressive caseload which has seen him represent major investment firms in a plethora of matters concerning real estate, energy, and sustainability." "Tim is a very good lawyer who is all over climate change matters." – Chambers UK
- "Mayer Brown International LLP's environment team is led by 'extremely good' counsel Tim Baines, who has a particular interest in advising clients in the real estate, energy, and sustainability sectors." – Legal 500
- Named as a Global Leader for Environment: "Tim Baines is a go-to practitioner for renewables incentives regimes and emission issues." "well-deserved market place reputation for achievement." (Climate Change) – Who’s Who Legal