"very responsive and knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with" - Legal 500 2018
"Technically excellent and provides clear, sensible advice. He is a fantastic negotiator and cares deeply about getting the best outcome for the client." - Chambers UK 2017
US- and English-qualified Chris Arnold is "one of the world’s leading derivatives lawyers." - Legal 500 2016
Chris Arnold is a partner in the Derivatives & Structured Products practice of the London office.
Dual-qualified in English and New York law, Chris has more than a decade of experience across a broad range of capital markets and structured finance transactions, with a particular focus on derivatives and structured products. He has advised on numerous complex derivatives for leading market participants and has also been involved in many high-profile industry initiatives.
Chris acts for the world's leading investment banks, as well as other financial institutions, end users, trustees, service providers and industry groups. His practice covers derivatives, repos, securities lending, structured securities and other risk transfer agreements linked to interest rates, foreign exchange, corporate and sovereign credit, equities, commodities, funds, insurance risks and strategic indices. He also advises institutions on European and US regulation of OTC derivatives markets and legal risk management, including situations involving distressed transactions. He is a regular speaker on derivatives documentation and regulation and has spoken at numerous conferences around the globe (see Events).
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2010, Chris worked in the London and New York offices of another large international law firm and spent six months on secondment to Goldman Sachs.
Nottingham Law School, Legal Practice Course (Distinction)
University of Nottingham, LLB (Hons)
Inscriptions au Barreau
- England and Wales
- New York
Consistently ranked as a leading individual by the legal directories.
- Listed as a notable practitioner, Chris Arnold is often instructed by international financial institutions in complex derivatives matters, and he is even called upon by the ISDA to advise on its key initiatives. (Chambers UK 2019).
- Chris Arnold is "very responsive and knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with". (Legal 500 2018).
- Clients recommend US and English-qualified Chris Arnold who regularly advises the world’s leading investment banks on complex derivatives matters and high-profile industry initiatives. (Legal 500 2017).
- Chris Arnold is best known for his derivatives expertise and he regularly works with clients on transactional matters, as well as advising on regulatory issues. Sources say: "He is technically excellent and provides clear, sensible advice. He is a fantastic negotiator and cares deeply about getting the best outcome for the client." (Chambers UK 2017).
- Mayer Brown International LLP’s clients praise the practice’s "exemplary service". US- and English-qualified Chris Arnold is "one of the world’s leading derivatives lawyers; he provides clear, sensible advice" (Legal 500 2016).
- Chris Arnold "is a good guy and a smart lawyer, whom clients find to be personable and intelligent," comment market sources. (Chambers UK 2016).
- Ranked as a Leading Individual, Chris Arnold is a "Fearsomely cool-headed negotiator" and "gives straight answers to difficult questions". (Legal 500 2015).
- "extremely knowledgeable, and very accessible" (Chambers UK 2015).
- “Chris has impressed a range of sources with his combination of strong commercial and technical expertise” (Chambers UK 2014).
- "Cool-headed intellectual heavyweight… has built an impressive practice and an exemplary team of associates" (Legal 500 2014).
- A "a 'go-to' lawyer for CDS issues" (Legal 500 2013).
- He is "technically excellent and easy to deal with" (Legal 500 2012).