Mayer Brown has longstanding relationships with top-tier Japanese trading houses, financial institutions and multinational companies. We have decades of experience advising clients worldwide on Japan-related matters. Our lawyers regularly act as international counsel on transactions involving Japanese entities, sometimes in collaboration with Japanese law firms. They acquire an in-depth understanding of our client’s specific business challenges and assist them in identifying strategic priorities.
Our Tokyo team leverages the firm's global platform to help Japanese clients invest and undertake business ventures overseas and has handled some of their most significant transactions around the globe. We also have a wealth of experience advising Japanese clients on disputes and regulatory matters, inside and outside the country.
Lawyers based in our Tokyo office are fluent in both English and Japanese and are qualified in a number of jurisdictions including the United States, England & Wales, and Australia..
Our team of lawyers has particular experience in:
- Project development and financing across the entire spectrum of the energy industry, including oil & gas, LNG, hydrogen, thermal power and renewables
- Corporate mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures
- Finance, including project financings and corporate finance
- Dispute resolution, including litigation, arbitration, and other forms of alternative dispute resolution
- Intellectual property, including patents, and TMT
We often work with clients who operate across industries—particularly the energy, chemicals trading, technology, and transportation sectors. We also regularly represent export credit agencies, multilateral development banks, commercial banks, private equity firms, securities firms, and other financial institutions. For more information of our Japan practice, please click here.