We have represented clients on many projects in numerous jurisdictions, with a sharp focus on the Middle East. Our team of highly experienced construction and engineering lawyers advises governments, owners, operators, concessionaires, lenders, project sponsors, contractors, consultants and insurers.
Our team manages issues arising out of all types of construction and engineering projects, including transport, infrastructure, oil and gas (upstream, midstream and downstream), power, alternative energy, process engineering, mining, commercial property, housing, healthcare and education, and insurance. We have extensive experience with all the major international and regional standard forms of contract, including FIDIC, IChemE, I Mech E, JCT, NEC, PPC2000, and every method of procurement including PPP/PFI schemes, BOOT/BOT, target price contracts, guaranteed maximum price contracts, turnkey, EPC and EPCM contracts, design and construct forms of contract, construction management, management contracting, partnering and collaborative working contracts, and joint ventures.
We advise on everything from front-end strategy and contract documentation to risk management and dispute resolution, and we have an excellent track record with projects across the region that set benchmarks in terms of scale and complexity. Our deeply rooted understanding of the industry means that our advice is commercially savvy as well as legally sound. We often represent clients when problems or disputes arise because of this degree of fluency in the construction sector and because of our reputation as one of the industry’s leading dispute resolution law firms.
- Advised an EPC Contractor on various issues arising out of the design and construction of a large LNGproject(subjectto UNCITRALarbitration in London), including advising on multimillion dollar contractual claims and entitlements for relief under Qatari law.
- Advised a contractor in relation to a claim for an extension of time and associated losses on a waste water facility plant in Qatar.
- Advised a major EPC contractor on various disputes relating to power station projects in Kuwait.
- Advised a major Kuwaiti contractor on various substantial power contracts.
- Advised on the EPC contract for a major petrochemical plant in Saudi Arabia.
- Advised a major European contractor on substantial issues arising out of the Olefins project in Saudi Arabia.
- Advised an international chemicals company and the project sponsor in relation to the design, construction, commissioning and operation of a US$4.5 billion petrochemical project in Saudi Arabia.
- Advised a large engineering company on various issues and claims amounting to over US$150 million in connection with the design and construction of an IPWP project in the UAE.
- Advised an employer based in Saudi Arabia on terminating the employment of a contractor for the construction of a food-processing factory in the UAE under the FIDIC Red Book of 1987 due to delay caused to the project.
- Advised an EPC contractor in Saudi Arabia on pursuing substantial claims under contract and under Shariah law arising from the design and construction of a US$500 million process plant, which were subject to the jurisdiction of the Saudi Arabian Board of Grievances.
- In the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, advised an EPC contractor on pursuing substantial claims under both the contract and under Shariah law arising from the design and construction of a US$500 million process plant.
- Advised on the successful concessionaire on the development of an oil terminal at the Port of Aqaba, Jordan.