Mayer Brown’s Financial Institutions M&A practice counsels on transactions involving the world’s largest banks and savings institutions, insurance companies, broker-dealers, asset managers and finance companies. We handle matters ranging in size and complexity from small- and mid-size transactions within a single national or regional market to multibillion dollar cross-border transactions. We consider our greatest strength to be the attention, care and partner-led service we give, regardless of the size of the deal.
Our Financial Institutions M&A practice operates across the globe, with lawyers throughout the Americas, Asia, and Europe, as well as an established network of local counsel and alliance firms. This reach provides our clients a significant advantage in structuring and negotiating local, national and international transactions.
Our Financial Institutions M&A practice works closely with the firm’s Banking & Finance practice, and provides our clients with the financial products and transaction experiences that are central to financial institutions.
Our Financial Services Regulatory & Enforcement practice includes many former government officials who have worked on regulatory and strategic matters for financial institutions ranging from community banks and thrifts to the world’s largest global financial organizations. Our experience with the major financial regulatory schemes worldwide, coupled with our professional relationships with key state, federal and international regulators, are among the most important assets we offer to our clients.
What You Can Expect From Us
- Deep financial institution M&A experience
- Resources in the legal disciplines that are key to business combinations, including capital markets, tax, business and technology sourcing, real estate, antitrust, executive compensation and insolvency lawyers
- Team members with a thorough understanding of the underlying financial products and services of financial institutions, including the structures, risks and regulatory issues related to these financial products and services
- Substantial financial service regulatory experience and strong relationships with financial regulatory agencies in the Americas, Asia, Europe and other jurisdictions, as well as with all types of banks, insurance companies and other financial institutions
- Antitrust & Competition
- Banking & Finance
- Capital Markets
- Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS)
- Executive Compensation
- Financial Services Regulatory & Enforcement
- Public Companies & Corporate Governance
- Public M&A
- Real Estate Markets
- Structured Finance
- Tax Controversy & Litigation
- Technology & IP Transactions
Recent experience includes:
- Represented Assured Guaranty in the $450 million acquisition of CIFG Holding Inc., the parent of financial guaranty insurer CIFG Assurance North America, Inc.
- Represented BMO Financial Group in the sale of its US-based retirement services business, BMO Retirement Services, to OneAmerica Financial Partners, Inc.
- Represented Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in the $3.8 billion acquisition of PrivateBancorp, Inc. and its subsidiary The PrivateBank, a middle market commercial bank with $17.7 billion in assets.
- Represented JPMorgan Chase in the sale of substantially all of the assets of its subsidiary, Plymouth Park Tax Services LLC, to Propel Acquisition LLC.
- Represented Macquarie Group in the sale of US-based Macquarie Equipment Finance LLC, a provider of lease financing asset management solutions to Huntington Bancshares Inc. Under the terms of the agreement, Huntington acquired approximately $900 million of assets and $630 million of debt, securitizations and other liabilities.
- Represented Nordevo Investments in its ¥2.5 billion sale of China East Investment Ltd., a real estate investment company, to Link REIT.
- Represented NorthStar Financial, a US-based asset manager, in its acquisition by private equity firm TA Associates Management, L.P.
- Represented Principal Financial in its HK$2.6 billion acquisition of the Hong Kong pension business of France-based AXA SA.
- Represented Prologis in its $5.9 billion acquisition of the real estate assets and operating platform of KTR Capital Partners and its affiliates.
- Represented Tesch Group in the acquisition of mediafinanz AG, a provider of online-based debt collection solutions, from three investment companies held by the founding shareholders.
- Represented Värde Partners in its acquisition of Trimont Real Estate Advisors, Inc., a US-based provider of real estate and investment services.
- Represented Wells Fargo in its $32 billion acquisition of the commercial distribution finance and vendor finance business of GE Capital Corporation.