Clients facing crisis situations not only require excellent courtroom advocates, they need savvy and experienced advisers who know how to manage the political, regulatory and media elements that can arise in these situations. The lawyers and other professionals on Mayer Brown’s cross-practice and bipartisan Congressional Investigations & Crisis Management team are strategic thinkers who help clients manage and possibly avoid a crisis and minimize its impact.
Our team includes:
- Former members of Congress
- A former Chief Counsel to the US Senate Judiciary Committee
- A former US Trade Representative and US Secretary of Commerce
- A former chief of the Watergate Special Prosecutor’s Task Force and member of the 9/11 Commission
- Former General Counsels of the US Department of Commerce
- Former General Counsel of two multinational food companies
- Former Chief Counsels for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- A former manager for the Office of Legislative Affairs at the US Department of the Treasury
- An Emmy award-winning former news producer
- Former federal prosecutors
- A former Associate Independent Counsel
We have significant experience representing witnesses before congressional hearings, responding to congressional subpoenas and document requests, and navigating the political and legal complexities of parallel legislative and regulatory investigations. Our deep experience is why, time and again, clients facing potential or actual crises have chosen Mayer Brown to guide them and protect their interests. Indeed, we have acted on some of the highest-profile crisis situations of the day, including Major League Baseball’s investigation into performance-enhancing drugs and Congress’s hearings on the troubled launch of the Affordable Care Act web site. Whether our clients face a congressional document request, a regulatory agency subpoena or a criminal investigation—or some combination of all three—we help them respond effectively in order to minimize their exposure and to protect their reputations and bottom lines. Simply put, when it comes to congressional investigations and crisis management, Mayer Brown has the experience to help clients navigate those moments when everything is on the line.