Mayer Brown's global Mining group works throughout the world, advising clients on a wide variety of transactions including project finance, environmental, corporate, construction, insurance and commodities matters. Our lawyers have extensive experience of the day-to-day legal, financial and operational issues faced by mineral producers and those who provide finance to the industry sector.
- Highly regarded for the leading position it takes in complex and high-level mineral project financings." – Chambers UK 2016
- Extremely comprehensive in terms of their mining finance knowledge; they have a deep and long-term understanding of developments in mining finance." – Chambers UK 2015 "
- Significant geopolitical expertise in the mining sector and a name frequently mentioned with great confidence by peers." – Chambers UK 2014
- ".... a longstanding pedigree in natural resources project finance". – Legal 500 2014
The services we offer our clients include:
- Finance advice on project finance (both traditional bank debt and finance sourced in the capital markets), alternative sources of finance such as, streaming, loyalty arrangements, prepayment facilities, equipment financing, offtaker finance advice on related issues such as hedging, both as to structuring and documentation and in connection with regulatory aspects, as well as negotiating, reviewing and drafting leases, assignments, operating and exploration agreements, as well as mining concessions.
- Corporate Finance advice on raising debt and equity in the capital markets.
- Construction & Engineering advice on EPC, EPCM and other project contracts, with onshore and offshore structures, co-ordination and offtake agreements and performance security.
- Corporate M&A advice on mergers, joint ventures and strategic investments, as well as property exchanges, acquisitions and disposals of producing and undeveloped assets.
- Environment and planning advice on the engagement of environmental and planning consultants, environmental impact assessments and the Equator Principles, review of permissions and consents, allocation of environmental risk, advice in respect of REACH and corporate social responsibility policies.
These services are provided by lawyers who are qualified in a broad cross-section of jurisdictions and who, in many cases, speak several different languages. They are used to advising on major mining transactions and often have direct personal experience of working in the countries where projects are taking place.
Ranked Band One in "Energy & Natural Resources: Mining: International" - Chambers UK 2016, 2015, 2014
Ranked Band One in "Projects & Energy: Mining & Minerals Africa-wide" - Chambers Global 2014
Our global Mining team consists of a number of leading individuals and is ranked in the top tier of legal providers for mining and minerals by the leading independent legal directory guides. In recent years, we have consistently been involved in the most interesting deals in the industry, many of which have been independently recognized as outstanding. These include:
- Yaramoko Gold (Burkina Faso) – "Africa – Mining and Metals Deal of the Year 2015" IJGlobal Europe & Africa Awards
- Cerro Verde (Peru) - Best Mining Financing; Best Loan 2014 LatinFinance
- Endeavour Mining (Côte d’Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ghana and Mali) – African Mining Deal of the Year 2013 Project Finance Magazine
- Wolf Minerals (Devon, southwest England) – European Mining & Metals Deal of the Year 2013 Project Finance Magazine
- New Liberty (Liberia) – Development Funding Deal of the year 2013 Mining Journal
- Boseto (Botswana) - African Mining Deal of the Year 2011 Project Finance Magazine
- Kwale mineral sands project (Kenya) – Development Funding Deal of the Year 2011 & 2006 Mining Journal and Africa Mining Deal of the Year 2011 Project Finance International
- Boleo mine (Mexico) – Latin America Mining Deal of the Year 2010 Project Finance International; Exploration and Development Funding Award Mining Journal
- Bisha project (Eritrea) - Africa Mining Deal of the Year 2009 Project Finance Magazine
- First Quantum Minerals (Zambia, Mauritania, DRC) – Deal of the Year 2007 Project Finance Magazine; Trade Finance Magazine
- Talvivaara (Finland) – European Mining Deal of the Year 2007 Project Finance Magazine 2007
- Tiomin (Kenya) – Development Funding Deal of the Year 2006 Mining Journal
- Voshkod Chrome (Kazakhstan) – European Mining Deal of the Year 2006 Project Finance Magazine
- Kupol Gold & Silver (Russia) – EMEA Mining Deal of the Year 2005 Project Finance Magazine, Project Finance International
In addition to the above awards, we were awarded Infrastructure/Energy Team of the Year at The Lawyer Awards 2012 and recognized as a stand-out firm at the Financial Times Innovative Lawyer Awards 2011 for our instrumental role in the development of a legal framework for Afghanistan’s mining industry.