Employment breakfast briefing looked at topical pay related issues.
The session focused on some of the thorny issues faced by employers when dealing with pay. Some of the questions/issues included:
- Bonus pay deferral and clawback – should all employers (not just those in the financial sector) be looking to defer bonuses and operate clawback arrangements? What legal and practical difficulties do clawback arrangements create?
- Maternity pay – how should employers deal with bonus payments for those on maternity leave, what counts as “pay” for the purposes of calculating statutory maternity pay and what are an employer’s statutory maternity pay obligations where a pregnant employee is made redundant?
- Termination payments – how does the timing of the P45 impact the tax treatment of a termination payment and when do you need to ensure national insurance deductions are made?
- Payments in lieu of notice – what are the issues employers need to bear in mind when making a payment in lieu of notice?
- Sick pay - Will stopping company sick pay for a disabled employee constitute discrimination?
- Payments under employment legislation - what is a “week’s pay” and when is it relevant?
If you have particular questions please email