Commercial disputes often involve the balancing of financial exposure against other meaningful business interests. In some cases, litigation can quickly become "bet-the-company" cases. By understanding and evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of your position early on, your company can avoid the perils of missteps in the early stages of litigation.
In conjunction with the publication of Mayer Brown's Managing the Early Stages of Commercial Litigation: Critical First Steps, our Commercial Litigation group is pleased to invite you to a series of four one-hour webinars intended to assist in-house counsel with key legal strategy for issues that often arise early in a matter. Additionally, for in-house lawyers who do not often handle litigation, but who find themselves charged with managing a lawsuit, we will highlight many of the issues that arise during the early stages of a lawsuit and identify important elements to be considered.
Please join us for our first program in the series.Preliminary Litigation Considerations: Legal Procedural Aspects
Topics covered will include:
- How to quickly assess whether the complaint has ANY merit and what potential exposure could be
- Determining whether a Hold Order is necessary and beginning the Hold Order process
- Considering whether the plaintiff's chosen forum is proper (arbitration, removal, MDL, complex court designation)
- Establishing if ex-employees are key witnesses and determining how to reach out to them
- Figuring out your strategy in regard to co-defendants (joint defense agreement, joint research in regard to experts)
- Determining whether a media or public relations strategy is necessary
Neil M. Soltman
Upcoming Programs in the Series:
Who to Notify When: What Notifications Might Be Required
Thursday, November 4, 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. EDT
What to Do to Start Preparing for Discovery
Wednesday, November 17, 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. EST
Electronic Discovery for Commercial Litigation Cases
Wednesday, December 1, 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. EST
Of Related Interest
Managing the Early Stages of Commercial Litigation: Critical First Steps
Learn more about our Commercial Litigation practice.