"Systematic, responsive." (2021)
"We are pleased with the quality of Mr Woll's work. He is great to work with and listens to our requests attentively and then addresses them effectively." (2020)
Robert Woll is a partner of Mayer Brown resident in the Hong Kong office and a member of the firm's Corporate & Securities practice and the Private Equity, Funds & Investment Management Group.
Robert has been based in Hong Kong or Beijing since 1997 and is experienced in handling all aspects of Asian private equity transactions, particularly with respect to Greater China. His current practice focuses on forming and advising private investment funds, including private equity funds, real estate funds, infrastructure funds, growth equity funds, venture capital funds, credit funds, and fund-of-funds/secondary vehicles. His practice also includes fund restructurings, secondary transactions, corporate venture capital funds, and co-investment arrangements, as well as representing LPs investing in private equity and real estate funds. By working with both managers and major investors, he maintains perspective on the key issues confronting both sides and on current market trends in terms and conditions.
Robert also counsels managers and executives on the governance and regulatory aspects of the formation and operation of private equity funds and related upper-tier arrangements. He has advised senior principals of Asia-based managers regarding strategic alternatives and events, such as "key person" events, spin-outs, and other significant transactions.
Robert's working languages are English and Chinese (Mandarin). He has been recognized as a leading investment funds and private equity lawyer by IFLR1000, Chambers Asia-Pacific, Chambers Global, and Legal 500 Asia Pacific. He serves on the Technical Committee of the HKVCA and has written and spoken extensively on PRC capital markets developments . He also serves on the Board of Directors of the Stanford GSB Hong Kong Chapter and the Stanford Law School Advisory Board for Asia.
- Advising a leading regional private equity manager on the formation of its first Vietnam-focused private equity fund, incorporating extensive ESG criteria, in which several development finance institutions are cornerstone investors.
- Advised a major Asia-based life insurance company on a variety of substantial and anchor investor commitments to global and regional private equity funds, real estate funds and secondary funds.
- Advised a major Chinese financial institution on its investment in an aircraft co-investment vehicle formed by China Aircraft Leasing Corporation (CALC), including senior and junior debt, and involving the acquisition of a seed portfolio of aircraft.
- Advised BEI Capital on the formation of CapBEI, L.P., a private equity real estate fund focusing on opportunities in the hospitality sector and commercial real estate in global gateway cities.
- Advised CITIC Pacific Limited and VPower International on the formation of Tamar VPower Energy Fund I, L.P., a private equity fund focusing on "Belt-and-Road" energy projects, with initial sponsor commitments of US$160 million.
- Advised CITIC Pacific Limited and its subsidiary Dah Chong Hong in the establishment of Tamar Alliance Partners Fund I, L.P., a private equity fund focusing on companies in the consumer and healthcare sectors seeking expansion opportunities in Greater China and Southeast Asia.
- Advised Dragon Capital on the structuring and establishment of an open-ended co-investment platform to invest in privatizing Vietnamese state-owned enterprises and in private placements of shares in listed and unlisted Vietnamese issuers.
- Advised Eastspring Investments, the Asian asset management business of a global life insurance company, on its cornerstone investment in Tigris Water Fund, L.P., a pan-Asian water infrastructure fund co-sponsored by Odyssey Capital and Macquarie Capital.
- Represented cleantech investment pioneer Tsing Capital in multiple fundraisings, including the establishment of China Environment Fund III, L.P., a $250 million renewable energy venture capital fund focusing on Chinese companies, and assistance in developing Tsing Capital's system to manage ESG functions throughout the investment process.
- Advised Peking University Founder Group and Founder Securities on the establishment of Founder China Partners I, LP, a buyout fund focusing on acquisitions of control positions in Chinese enterprises, Founder H Fund, and various joint ventures formed by Founder Group / Founder Securities.
- Advised Jade Invest in its investment programs, including the establishment of Jade China Value Partners, L.P. and Jade China Value Partners II, L.P., various separate accounts, seed investor arrangements, primary and secondary investments in China-focused private equity funds, and direct private equity investments.
- Advised SEDCO Capital as a cornerstone investor in several India-focused venture capital funds, including Ascent India Fund III, Samara Capital Partners Fund I, Gaja Capital Fund I, and IDFC Private Equity Fund II.
- Advised SEDCO Capital on direct private equity investments in India, including investments in Deepak Cables Limited and Haldia Coke and Chemicals Limited, and in China.
- Advised SEDCO Capital on the co-GP arrangement and formation of Ventureast SEDCO Proactive Fund LLC, an early stage venture capital fund formed as a parallel fund with Ventureast Proactive Fund LLC.
- Advised a global bank and the individual co-founders on the sale of a China-based financial technology and software engineering company to EPAM Systems, Inc.
- Advised Noah Holdings, a wealth and asset management firm serving Chinese clients, on the establishment of numerous co-investment funds and feeder funds for investment in private equity funds and other alternative strategies.
- Advised Envision Capital in the launch of the firm and in the formation of its RMB-denominated and US Dollar private equity funds.
- Represented Rockley Group in the establishment and operation of Rockley China Fund LP, two foreign-invested venture capital enterprises formed through joint ventures with Shandong and Shanxi investment vehicles, and several portfolio investments in the technology sector in China.
- Represented SAIF Partners in numerous portfolio investments, including Perfect World Co., ATA, Eternal Asia Supply Chain, Yongxin Tongfang, NVC Lighting, and MOBI Antenna Technologies (Shenzhen) Co. Limited.
- Advised SEDCO Capital on the establishment of SEDCO Capital Partners Group Opportunities Fund, a private equity co-investment fund co-sponsored by SEDCO Capital and Partners Group AG.
- Advised TPG Capital on the structuring of its RMB-denominated China private equity funds.
- Advised Mongolia Opportunities Partners Ltd. on the establishment of Mongolia Opportunities Fund I, a private equity fund focusing on small and medium-sized enterprises in Mongolia.
- Advised a China-based private equity manager on its sponsorship agreement with a Middle Eastern sovereign wealth fund and the sale of a minority interest to a Kuwaiti asset management firm.
Princeton University, AB
Stanford Law School, JD
- Nueva York
- Hong Kong
- Recommended, China - Investment Funds: Foreign Firms – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2021)
- Highly Regarded Lawyer, Hong Kong - Private Equity – IFLR1000 (2018-2021)
- Leading Lawyer, Hong Kong - Private Equity – IFLR1000 (2017)
- Leading Individual, China - Investment Funds – Chambers Asia Pacific (2014-2016)
- Recommended, Hong Kong - Private Equity – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2014-2015)
- "Systematic, responsive." – IFLR1000 (2021)
- "We are pleased with the quality of Mr Woll's work. He is great to work with and listens to our requests attentively and then addresses them effectively." – IFLR1000 (2020)
- "[Robert] goes out of his way to see things from the client’s perspective." – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2015)
- "One of the best lawyers focused on private equity." – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2014)