Sanjiv Tata is an associate and a member of the Corporate & Securities practice in the US Insurance Regulatory & Enforcement group, specializing in insurance regulatory work. Sanjiv advises insurance companies, insurance intermediaries and investment companies with respect to a broad range of insurance regulatory and corporate matters, including formation and licensing of insurance companies, mergers and acquisitions of insurance companies, reinsurance transactions, and enforcement, corporate governance, cybersecurity, enterprise risk and general compliance matters.
Sanjiv regularly represents clients before state insurance regulatory authorities and has experience negotiating directly with nearly every insurance regulatory authority in the United States.
Sanjiv’s experience also includes advising mutual insurers on regulatory aspects in connection with demutualization and mutual holding company transactions.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, he was an associate with a global law firm in its financial institutions group in New York, focusing on insurance regulatory work.
Sanjiv is currently the chair of the New York State Bar Association’s Insurance Law Committee (Business Law Section).
- Advising insurance carriers, intermediaries and insuretech companies on regulatory compliance, governance, licensing, financial and market conduct examination, Insurance Holding Company Act, privacy and data securities laws and current and prospective digital distribution matters.
- Advise on compliance with state insurance regulatory laws and coordinate with state regulators, including with respect to products, distribution, formation and/or licensing of agents, captives and insurers/reinsurers.
- On behalf of State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, assistance in its approximately $400 million acquisition of GAINSCO, INC.
- On behalf of The Doctors Company, An Interinsurance Exchange and The Doctors Management Company, assistance in their approximately $650 million acquisition of Hospital Insurance Company, Inc.
- On behalf of The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc., assistance in its $2.1 billion acquisition of The Navigators Group, Inc.
- On behalf of Liberty Mutual Insurance Company, assistance in its $3 billion acquisition of Ironshore, Inc. from Fosun International Limited.
- On behalf of Endurance Specialty Holdings Ltd., assistance in its $6.3 billion merger with Sompo Holdings, Inc.
- On behalf of WellDyne, Inc., assistance in its sale of pharmacy benefit manager WellDyneRx, Inc. to The Carlyle Group.
- On behalf of National General Holdings Corp., assistance in its $165 million acquisition of Elara Holdings, Inc. and all of its subsidiaries.
- On behalf of Humana Inc., assistance in the $37 billion acquisition by Aetna of Humana, Inc. and all of its subsidiaries. (Transaction not concluded by consensus of both parties).
- Regulatory assistance for the initial public offering of common stock of Kinsale Capital Group, Inc.
- On behalf of Trident VI, L.P., Trident VI DE Parallel Fund, L.P., Trident VI Parallel Fund, L.P., Trident VI Professionals Fund, L.P. and their controlling persons, assisted in the acquisition of control of Privilege Underwriters Reciprocal Exchange.
- On behalf of Centene Corporation, assisted in the $6.8 billion acquisition of Health Net, Inc. and all of its subsidiaries.
- On behalf of XL Group plc, assisted in the $4.21 billion acquisition of Catlin Group Limited and all of its subsidiaries.
- Regulatory assistance to XL Group Ltd in its re-domestication to Bermuda from Ireland.
- On behalf of Rite Aid Corporation, assisted in matters related to the acquisition Envision Topco Holdings, LLC and certain of its subsidiaries, including Envision Insurance Company, valued at approximately 27,862,138 shares of Rite Aid’s common stock and $1.8 billion in cash.
*Certain of the matters listed above were handled by Sanjiv Tata were handled prior to joining Mayer Brown.
Cornell University, BA
University of Virginia School of Law, JD
- Nueva York