Julio M. Martínez is an associate in the firm’s Mexico City office and a member of Mayer Brown’s Global Banking & Finance Practice and Energy Group. His experience centers in project finance for renewable and conventional power projects, as well as other infrastructure projects. Julio has been recently involved as counsel to the lenders in the syndicated financing of a solar photovoltaic project in Mexico, which was awarded a PPA under Mexico's long-term power bid. Other recent transactions include a financing for the acquisition of telecom towers, and a financing for the development of fuel storage projects across Mexico. Julio has also advised sponsors, developers, ECAs and lenders in connection with EPC and O&M contracts, steam supply, storage and distribution agreements, and, generally, the management and financing of infrastructure portfolios across several industries, including power generation, natural gas, gasoline retail, telecom and manufacturing. In his finance specialization, Julio has also advised lenders in several commercial loans, asset-backed and cash-flow financings. JD degree from ITAM and LLM from Columbia Law School. Fluent in English and Spanish (native).
- Currently representing the sponsor of a self-supply generation project (Zacatecas) in the negotiation of power purchase agreements, as well as with corporate matters arising in the greenfield development of the project.
- Ongoing representation of the sponsor in a cross-border project finance of a solar photovoltaic project (Veracruz).
- Represented the lenders in a syndicated multi-currency project finance of a solar photovoltaic project in Mexico (Aguascalientes).
- Lead counsel to the sponsor in the financing of two photovoltaic power generation plants (Chihuahua) for a total amount of ~USD $70 Million.
- Successfully represented the developer of two photovoltaic power generation plants (Chihuahua) in the sale of 75% of its interest in the projects, including the restructuring of intercompany loans.
- Lead counsel to the acquirer of four wind power generation projects in Jalisco, Veracruz, Querétaro and Zacatecas.
- Represented the lenders in a $20 Million financing for the acquisition of a telecom tower portfolio across Mexico.
- Ongoing representation of a railroad transfer and storage company in the negotiation of a loan facility for the development of its fuel storage business.
- Counsel to the lenders in a club deal financing to a major sportswear manufacturer and retailer.
- Counsel to an internal asset manager in the structuring of a bankruptcy-remote vehicle for the financing of a pool of financial assets in Mexico.
- Represented an international corporation in the acquisition of a cogeneration project (Nuevo León) while in construction, as well as in the negotiation of a steam supply agreement for the initial phase of the project.
- Representation of an international downstream company in the negotiation of storage agreements with different storage terminal developers (Jalisco and Estado de México).
- Successfully advised a Mexican commodities trading company in two public bidding processes for the sale of imported coal to Comisión Federal de Electricidad.
- Advised a Mexican commodities trading company in their natural gas operations.
Columbia Law School, LLM
Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
magna cum laude
- Nueva York