‘Barry Cosgrave is an expert in Islamic law and operating in the UAE.’Legal 500 2022
Barry Cosgrave is a partner in Mayer Brown's Restructuring practice in London and Dubai. He concentrates his practice on distressed debt and restructuring, debt capital markets, structured finance and Islamic finance. He also advises on Middle East regulatory matters and is advisor to leading international banks, hedge funds, investment/asset managers and insurance companies on the full range of banking, funds, securities, broker-dealer and insurance regulation.
- Advised HSBC as arranger on up to US$250m unsecured structured syndicated loan facilities provided to Rivulis Irrigation for the financing of its current and future debt. The syndication was led by HSBC, with the participation of the State Bank of India, Rabobank (Netherlands), Leumi Bank (Israel) and First International Bank of Israel.
- Advised BluePeak Private Capital on the US$15 million secured structured term loan investment in the Africure group. Africure is a pan-African manufacturer and distributor of pharmaceutical goods with manufacturing hubs across the continent serving patients across East and West Africa.
- Advised on the US$20,000,000 secured structured term loan facility provided by BluePeak Private Capital to the ieng group (a pan-African provider of engineering and construction, operations and maintenance, and hybrid power solutions to Africa’s telecom sector).
- Advised HSBC as arranger in relation to a US$25m unsecured structured loan facility provided to Averda put in place as part of a re-financing of an existing US$148m term loan.
- Representing the ad hoc Noteholder Committee in connection with the restructuring of the various debt obligations owed pursuant to the US$1.2 billion in secured notes issued by EA Partners I BV and EA Partners II BV.
- Represented Ahmad Hamad Algosaibi & Brothers Company (AHAB) in Saudi Arabia in connection with certain compromise negotiations with its creditors in relation to approximately US$9 billion in liabilities and its current application for a Protective Settlement Procedure under the Saudi Arabian Bankruptcy law.
Oxford Institute of Legal Practice, LPC
University of Oxford, BA
- England and Wales
- 'Exceptional' Barry Cosgrave is listed as a key lawyer and leading individual for Islamic Finance. ‘Exceptional delivery of Islamic finance understanding into the private equity arena.’ He is also listed as a key lawyer for Corporate Restructuring & Insolvency. His arrival towards the end of 2020 from K&L Gates LLP further broadens the expertise of the team in light of his ‘experience of difficult jurisdictions and emerging market modus operandi’. (LEGAL 500 2023).
- Listed as a key lawyer for Corporate Restructuring & Insolvency, ‘Barry Cosgrave has a detailed understanding of acutely distressed situations and alongside an understanding of complex, structured credit.’ (Legal 500 2022).
- ‘Barry Cosgrave is an expert in Islamic law and operating in the UAE.’ (Legal 500 2022: Islamic Finance).
- Listed under 'Other key lawyers' for Corporate Restructuring & Insolvency (Legal 500 2021).
- The International Who’s Who of Capital Markets Lawyers: Islamic Finance 2014 - present.