Technology is at the heart of growth and innovation strategies for all companies. Mayer Brown helps clients navigate their technology vision at every stage of the growth and innovation life cycle, from formation, to navigating issues that arise as the business grows, to exit.
Our on-the-ground teams in key business centers such as London, Silicon Valley, Washington DC, Brussels, Frankfurt, São Paulo, Hong Kong and Beijing support our clients on all legal regulatory and commercial issues.
Mayer Brown offers depth and breadth of resources found in only the largest, most sophisticated firms in the world, along with a deeply-rooted understanding of the fast-moving tech industry. Clients note that the team is "responsive, practical, efficient and commercially savvy in their advice", and bring us in early in the planning stage of a deal to help them formulate and execute their strategic and financial objectives. We develop a deep understanding of our clients’ their value drivers and goals so that we can help them solve spot opportunities as well as solve problems, however complex.
Mayer Brown understands the intricacies of technology-related collaborations and partnerships and we regularly advise clients on digital platform arrangements, including customer-facing, revenue generating platforms; joint development agreements; industry utilities and other consortia; and technology-focused joint ventures, strategic alliances and other collaborations.
Select experience includes:
- Blackboard, Inc., an education technology company, in the sale of its Blackboard Open LMS business to Learning Technologies Group plc.
- CDK Global, Inc. a leading provider of dealer management systems and integrated information technology solutions to the automotive retailing and adjacent industries, in the $1.45 billion sale of its CDK international segment to private equity firm Francisco Partners Management, L.P.
- Envestnet in its $660m acquisition of Yodlee, Inc., a leading technology and applications platform providing cloud-based financial services.
- Global bank and financial services company in negotiating a loan origination services agreement with fintech Avant, LLC, a leading online marketplace lending company. The transaction included customization and implementation of a white-labeled version of Avant's Amount lending platform for our client. The platform allows the bank to leverage the Amount platform’s proprietary account verification, risk assessment, marketing and full lifecycle customer service tools and machine learning fraud prevention capabilities.
- Leading financial group in the negotiation of a multi-year agreement opposite FIS for the licensing, development, implementation and hosting of a core banking cloud platform for our client’s consumer and commercial banking divisions. The transaction included advice on contract negotiations, structure, bank regulatory issues and the accompanying implementation agreements with Wipro and IBM.
- Major lending and finance company regarding the creation of an “open” multi-lender platform using proprietary technology for consumer credit decisions. This representation involved creating and negotiating platform participation agreements for participating lenders, credit unions and electronic delivery providers.
- Northern Trust in its equity investment in Equity Data Science, Inc., a cloud-based analytics platform that provides decision support tools to asset managers.
- OpenCloud Limited in its sale to Metaswitch Networks Ltd., a leading cloud native communications software company.
- Wolters Kluwer in its $280 million acquisition of eOriginal, Inc., a leading provider of cloud-based digital lending software, from private equity firm LLR Partners Inc.
- Yum! Brands, Inc. in its entry into an agreement with Grubhub, Inc. (including a $200m purchase of Grubhub stock) aimed at driving online sales and delivery for Yum’s restaurants, including Taco Bell and KFC.