Cloud technologies offer tremendous potential to reduce cost and add capacity and capabilities to company operations. The value of cloud platforms is only rising as increasingly powerful machine learning tools evolve through the use of increasing amounts of data that flow through those platforms. However, cloud computing can also involve practical and regulatory challenges, including in privacy, security and data protection.
Mayer Brown’s Technology & IP Transactions practice helps clients navigate these challenges. We advise on private and public cloud SaaS, PaaS and IaaS agreements, on cloud-based marketplace and platform services agreements, and on cloud migration and implementation agreements.
Over the past ten years, our market-leading practice has had significant experience working with AWS, Microsoft, Google, SAP, Oracle, IBM, Workday and other similar cloud providers on behalf of clients contracting for customized cloud services that include the use of AI tools and the development of unique software applications. In doing so, we have knowledge of the “standard” documents and market-reasonable outcomes and approaches to issues. Our team’s working relationship with leading providers helps our clients achieve the best results possible within the confines of using standardized cloud and SaaS platforms.
We are top-ranked by the most respected legal ranking services for our work. Most relevant, here, is that we are one of only two groups with a Bank 1 ranking in the USA Technology list in Chambers USA and Legal 500 has awarded us its top ranking in the US IT/Outsourcing for as long as the category has existed.
Clients praise our “always very responsive and accommodating” team as having “handled complex technology transactions and vendor engagements while providing good value for money and being much more aware of the commercial aspects of transactions than other firms.”
International Association of Outsourcing Professionals
- Ranked as one of the top law firms in 2009 thru 2019 on The World's Best Outsourcing Advisors list for The Global Outsourcing 100™.
- Technology Firm of the Year, 2016.
Global Sourcing Awards, UK
- “Support Community Greats – Legal Advisors” 2018/2019.
Asian Legal Business Hong Kong Law Awards
- TMT Law Firm of the Year (Hong Kong) 2018.
U.S. News/Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms”
- “Law firm of the Year” in Information Technology Law 2016.
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Information Technology Law National 2013-2018.
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Information Technology Law Chicago 2013-2018.
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Information Technology Law Washington DC 2013-2018.
- “Band 1” Ranking in IT/Outsourcing Globalwide 2008-2001; 2015-2019.
- “Band 2” ranking in IT/Outsourcing Globalwide 2012-2014.
- “Band 1” ranking in IT/Outsourcing USA 2009-2019.
“They are very good, and are able to communicate and synthesize information in a useful and easily understandable way. They are able to lead negotiations and talk to businesspeople in a way that evokes the responses. They are level-headed, calm and very deliberate throughout the process."
“…Mayer Brown is a force to be reckoned with.”
- “Band 1” Ranking in IT/Outsourcing Nationwide for 15 consecutive years (2004-2018).
- “Band 1” Ranking in Technology/Outsourcing District of Columbia 2008-2018.
- “Band 1” Ranking in Technology/Outsourcing Illinois 2008-2018.
“They’re very practical in terms of trying to identify solutions and giving very good advice on areas where it is reasonable for us to compromise or, alternatively, where to hold our ground.”
“We have never been disappointed. They are worth their weight in gold.”
Chambers Greater China Region
- “Band 2” Ranking in TMT 2022.
Chambers Asia Pacific
- “Band 2” Ranking in TMT 2011-2021.
"[O]ne of the biggest strengths of the team is their creativity and out-of-the-box thinking. They understand the law very well and seek creative ways to accomplish their clients’ goals."
"[P]ractical and commercial."
"They provide good practical solutions and tips to reduce risk and achieve business objectives. They also help me think ahead of issues that need to be addressed at a business level."
"Undertakes impressive mandates for technology and telecommunications companies, and is supported by an equally impressive IP practice."
- “Band 3” Ranking in IT/Outsourcing 2016-2018.
“They complete work quickly, their advice is high-quality, and they're responsive to our needs.”
“Commercial focus, thoroughness, depth of thought and expert communication.”
“Highly regarded outsourcing practice noted for its international reach. Advises on business-critical projects, often at the vanguard of technology, such as big data analytics and cloud services.”
The Legal 500 US
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Outsourcing/Information Technology 2008-2018.
- Ranked “Team of the Year” in Media, Technology and Telecoms: Outsourcing Category for 2014.
Mayer Brown is “very high quality; the lawyers are responsive, thorough, business-minded, and experts in their field.”
“Strategic, thoughtful and extremely well organized.”
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
Serves an impressive list of high-end clients, covering matters such as data privacy, cloud services and technology agreements as well as e-commerce work.
Provides very insightful advice to clients across a range of TMT matters including data privacy, cloud computing and fintech.