Our Insurance/Reinsurance Litigation & Dispute Resolution lawyers have represented insurers and reinsurers in virtually every type of business and commercial dispute. Our practice is built on the experience and skill of our trial lawyers. We have represented our clients in jury and bench trials across the Americas, Europe and Asia. We have handled dozens of commercial arbitrations and administrative hearings. Our lawyers take pride in their ability to move quickly and mobilize a team at a moment’s notice to handle emergency litigation, whether it be a TRO, a preliminary injunction or an emergency appeal.
We have the ability to assemble teams that include lawyers from across the world with extensive experience in their local courts.
No other firm can offer a litigation practice that is so strongly supported at every step by the lawyers of our nationally renowned appellate practice and a group that focuses on e-discovery.
Commercial disputes often involve reputational risks for our clients and are frequently “bet the company” cases. In those cases, clients often seek aggressive, trial-ready advocates who will demonstrate both the client’s legal resolve and also its readiness to pursue its legal remedies through a trial. Our collection of trial lawyers, including many former assistant US attorneys, bring substantial trial experience and ably communicate our clients’ legal resolve.
We recognize, however, that many disputes may involve lower stakes, or require the balancing of potential financial exposure against other meaningful business interests. We know that litigation efficiency may be a key definition of success for our clients, and we work closely with our clients to ensure that the services provided match the level needed in any particular case.
Select experience in representing insurers and reinsurers in commercial disputes by our Insurance/Reinsurance Litigation & Dispute Resolution lawyers includes the following:
- Represented Swiss and US reinsurance companies and individuals in the finite reinsurance investigations by the US Securities and Exchange Comission (SEC) and the Office of the New York State Attorney General.
- Represented the asset management subsidiary of a foreign insurer in connection with a lawsuit brought by Florida insurance regulators in state court that it contributed to the collapse of a domestic property insurer.
- Representing a life insurer in defense of a lawsuit brought in Wisconsin state court that alleges fraud, fraud in the inducement and breach of Wisconsin’s unfair trade practice law concerning the sale of STOLI products.
- Represent a foreign insurer in reaching a favorable resolution of Mexican government tax claims and tax-related litigation claims brought against ING.
- Representing a specialty lines insurer in connection with a shareholder dispute.
- Represented insurance and reinsurance companies in the successful litigations of breach of commercial contract claims in New York state court against insurance brokers and managing general agents relating to programs of commercial automobile insurance.
- Represented major property and casualty insurer in class action opt-out cases alleging the rigging of bids for commercial insurance in violation of RICO and federal antitrust laws.