Why You Should Attend
At this perennial favorite, our expert faculty will teach you the basics of drafting and negotiating corporate agreements -- from how the provisions of an agreement fit together, to the fundamental drafting and negotiating principles common to all corporate agreements. You will learn how to reduce your client’s goals to a complete, clearly written and enforceable agreement, and how to identify what issues are most likely to come up in a negotiation of that agreement. You will gain an understanding of why and where the tough issues usually arise during the drafting phase, as well as what you can do to effectively, and creatively, solve those issues – and thereby free yourself from a dependency on forms. Plus, you will obtain a litigator’s perspective on how to draft contracts with enforcement in mind, and learn about common ethical issues in drafting corporate agreements. This program is essential for practitioners who draft agreements in complex business transactions.
What You Will Learn
- When and how to use letters of intent, confidentiality and standstill agreements
- Key terms of standard transactional agreements and how they are organized
- The wide range of M&A agreements, both public and private
- Special agreements including: equity (NY & CHI), credit/indenture (NY), employment (SF & CHI), and licensing (SF) agreements.
- The importance of boilerplate to the enforcement of contracts from a litigator’s perspective
- Common ethical errors in contracts
Who Should Attend
Corporate attorneys in private practice and in-house counsel who have, or want to assume, primary responsibility for drafting agreements in complex business transactions.
Mayer Brown partner Nina Flax will speak on the “Ethical Issues in Drafting Corporate Agreements” panel.
PLI California Center
685 Market Street
San Francisco, California 94105
For more information or to register please visit the event website.