Each day brings important developments in the high-profile Brazilian corruption investigation known as “Operation Car Wash” (Lava Jato) that have direct effects on the Houston market.
Mayer Brown has assembled a panel to provide you with the latest news from both within and beyond Brazil, equip you with practical tips and tools to navigate your risks efficiently and effectively and highlight emerging investment opportunities already being leveraged by the Houston market.
Please join us for a morning seminar featuring:
- A keynote address by Brazil’s most recent Attorney General, Luis Adams
- Two roundtables featuring the former Attorney General and Mayer Brown and Tauil & Chequer Advogados partners, including:
- Noted FCPA practitioner and former Department of Justice Fraud Section Chief and Acting Deputy Assistant Attorney General Larry Urgenson
- Mayer Brown Energy group co-leader and Oil & Gas group leader Alex Chequer
- Former Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) Sanctions Committee Executive Secretary Bernardo Weaver
In addition to addressing your questions, the roundtables will discuss:
Session One: Navigating the Expanding Investigation
- The latest developments: An overview and impact assessment of recent events
- “Car Wash” beyond Petrobras: The full investigative scope and corresponding enforcement risk (including Eletrobras and Eletronuclear)
- “Car Wash” beyond Brazil: Impacts across Latin America and the status of cooperation and coordination between Brazil and the global enforcement community (including the DOJ and the SEC)
- The enforcement toolkit: Why compliance with the Clean Company Act alone is not enough and what to expect next
- Leniency agreements and plea bargaining in Brazil: What you need to know
- Proactive internal investigations: Addressing key questions, including:
- What are my competitors doing?
- What are they finding?
- How do I scope my review?
- What do we do with the results?
Session Two: Realizing Emerging Investment Opportunities
- Sizing potential liabilities: How are damages, disgorgements and forfeitures being calculated?
- Approaching the Brazilian government: Who can you talk to and what comfort can you get about your planned investment?
- Not buying a problem: Practical advice on conducting successful due diligence in the current environment
- Living with your results: Post-acquisition compliance implementation and integration
700 Louisiana Street
Houston, TX 77002
CLE credit is pending.
For additional information or to register, please contact Erica Weber at +1 312 701 7688 or email@example.com.