New Federal Lobbying and Gift Rules and 2008 Political Contribution Limitations: What You Need to Know to Comply.
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. (EDT)
12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. (CDT)
10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. (PDT)
This webinar will focus on the semi-annual reporting and certification requirements under section 203 of the Honest Leadership and Open Government Act of 2007, which enacts major changes to federal lobbyist disclosure requirements and imposes strict gift bans related to members of Congress and their staffs. In addition, the webinar will include a discussion of political contribution limitations affecting the 2008 elections.The presentation will focus on the following key topics:
- The changes to lobbyist disclosure laws enacted by the Act, including section 203 disclosure requirements related to political contributions, events hosted in honor of members of Congress and inaugural committee and presidential library contributions applicable to lobbyists and their employers;
- A detailed discussion of the gift and travel bansenacted by the Act;
- An analysis of the narrow exceptions from the gift and travel bans under the Act;
- The application of the Act to entities, including corporations, that employ lobbyists and the potential liability of employers under the Act;
- Practical advice related to internal compliance programs for corporations subject to the Act;
- A review of federal campaign contributions limitations related to the 2008 election; and
- A discussion of corporate facilitation rules that limit use of corporate resources for federal election activities.
The presentation will offer a valuable overview of federal lobbying, gift ban and campaign contribution limitations, with a particular focus on practical corporate compliance mechanisms for in-house counsel of corporations that engage in federal lobbying and political contribution activities.
CLE credit is pending.
Access information will be sent to you several days prior to the event.
Learn more about Mayer Brown.