Kristine Young is a senior associate in the Intellectual Property group of Mayer Brown’s Chicago office. She has a broad range of experience encompassing litigation in federal and state court, transactional work and matters before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) and the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center. Kristine’s practice encompasses intellectual property litigation (trademark, copyright, trade secret and domain name); false advertising litigation; trademark prosecution, enforcement and counseling; copyright counseling; domain name enforcement and Uniform Dispute Resolution (UDRP) proceedings; patent counseling; advertising and brand management; licensing and restructuring; corporate transactions; and internet privacy counseling.
Litigation, Dispute Resolution and Online Enforcement
Kristine’s practice consists of trademark, false advertising, trade secret, domain name, copyright, unfair competition and breach of contract litigation in federal and state courts. Her experience includes trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the TTAB as well as domain name litigation under the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA) and the UDRP.
Additionally, Kristine advises clients regarding enforcement strategies and procedures related to trademark and copyright infringement on social media, content sharing and e-commerce websites, and she handles all aspects of these enforcement procedures, including take down requests and navigating the safe-harbor provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Kristine has also represented a pro bono client in a criminal appeal before the Seventh Circuit and has defended clients against Whistleblower claims under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
Prosecution, Strategy and Counseling
Kristine manages the global trademark portfolios of numerous clients and advises clients regarding clearance, preparation, prosecution and maintenance of domestic and foreign trademarks and copyrights. Her experience includes preparing, filing and prosecuting trademark applications as well as counseling clients on trademark availability, procurement and protection, developing trademark use manuals and advising on trademark watch services and strategies.
Kristine counsels clients regarding copyright protection, registration and enforcement and also has experience advising clients about donations of copyrighted works to charitable organizations. Using her background in computer information systems, she also performs freedom-to-operate assessments related to computer technologies and systems.
Advertising and Brand Management
Kristine assists clients with developing advertising campaigns and in the selection and clearance of advertising slogans and materials. She also advises clients regarding right to publicity and privacy concerns as well copyright and trademark considerations, and consults clients regarding the use of materials on websites and social media pages in light of relevant copyright and trademark issues.
Corporate Transactions, Licensing, Restructuring and Internet Privacy
Kristine is seasoned in various aspects of intellectual property licensing relating to domestic and international intellectual property rights, including the licensing of patent rights, trademarks, copyrights, technical know-how, trade secrets and computer software. She also has experience with inter-affiliate patent licensing and the restructuring of intellectual property portfolios.
Kristine advises on intellectual property aspects of commercial transactions including public and private mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances for US, foreign and multinational corporations, both publicly and privately held. Kristine also consults clients regarding website privacy policies and practices and federal and state data privacy laws.
Certifications and Prior Work
Kristine is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA). Prior to joining Mayer Brown she worked for a “big four” accounting firm in the IT Risk Assurance practice.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company manufacturer and seller of coffee machines and related consumables in several matters involving trademark, trade dress and copyright infringement, one of which resulted in successfully obtaining a default judgment and the other which settled on favorable terms. (S.D.N.Y. 2014 and 2016).
- Represented one of the largest manufacturers of engines and related parts in a trademark infringement and counterfeiting matter, which resulted in the issuance of a temporary restraining order, permanent injunction and judgment against the defendants. (S.D. Ind. 2014).
- Represented a college athletic conference in a matter involving trademark and cyber squatting that resulted in a judgment against the defendant and the issuance of a permanent injunction. (N.D. IL 2015).
- Successfully represented a machinery and engine manufacturer in a breach of contract action against a rouge licensee resulting in a default judgment being entered against the defendant. (C.D. IL 2014).
- Represented a restaurant group in a trademark infringement matter that resulted in a favorable settlement, dismissal of the lawsuit and an efficient resolution. (S.D.N.Y. 2016).
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in the successful recovery of domain names incorporating the company’s famous trademarks. (WIPO 2015).
- Represented a large manufacturer and seller of food products in a $11.85 billion dollar acquisition of an infant nutrition business.
- Represented a luxury hotel chain in the successful enforcement of its trademark rights against an infringer.
- Represented a manufacturer of food products in successfully cancelling a third party trademark registration for non-use. (TTAB 2016).
University of Illinois, JDmagna cum laudeDean’s List; Elder Law Journal
Certified Public Accountant, Illinois
Indiana University, BA in Accounting and Computer Information Systems