Sheng Wu is a partner of the Corporate & Securities practice of Mayer Brown in Hong Kong. Sheng has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions (M&A), especially China-related M&As and M&A involving regulated entities. He represents both Chinese and foreign clients in cross-border acquisitions into China (by foreign investors) and outside China (by Chinese investors). He has particular experience in advising investors and companies on investment opportunities relating to the insurance and healthcare sectors.
Sheng is also familiar with OTC derivatives and structured products. He has represented leading Chinese banks and investment banks in ground-breaking securitization transactions in China, and advised many leading international banks and investment banks in their negotiations of international documents (such as ISDA, GMRA and GMSLA) with counterparties in the Greater China region. In 2007, he advised the central bank of China, the People’s Republic of China, in drafting and publishing a set of ground-breaking derivative documentation purporting to govern all financial derivatives conducted on the Chinese inter-bank market.
Sheng speaks fluent Mandarin and English.
- Advised Fosun International (H share listed company) on its Euro 1 billion acquisition of Fidelidade, the largest insurance company in Portugal.
- Advised Fosun International on its Euro 960 million acquisition of all shares of ClubMed, listed on Paris Stock Exchange, through tender offer.
- Advised Fosun International Limited on the acquisition of 100% equity interests in the DSG Holdings Limited for a total cash consideration of RMB508 million (approx. US$81 million) from its shareholders. Incorporated in Malaysia, DSG’s subsidiaries are principally involved in the production and supply of potable water and wastewater treatment projects, they also provide advisory and management services on the water treatment construction projects in China.
- Advised Fosun International Limited on the acquisition of Lanvin, France’s oldest surviving couture label.
- Advised Fosun, one of the largest private enterprises in China, in investing in Folli Follie (through private placement), and in various other investment projects (covering such sectors as retail, technology and insurance).
- Advising Fosun International on its US$725 million acquisition of a landmark hotel in US.
- Advised ABC International as financial sponsor in its participation in the acquisition of Cordenka with total consideration of €240 million. Cordenka is a leading manufacturer of high-strength rayon based in Germany.
- Advised ABC International in a number of private equity investments.
- Advised Sanyuan Food (A share listed company) and Fosun in its proposed Euro 600 million acquisition of St Hubert group.
- Advised Guangdong Dongfang Precision Science and Technology Co (A share listed company) in its acquisition of Fosber S.A.
- Advised Jinjiang Hotels (A+H shares listed company) in its RMB 8.3 billion acquisition of a majority stake in Plateno Group.
- Advised Ping An Group (A+H share listed company) in various overseas acquisition projects.
- Advised Peak Re on the majority investment in a Caribbean insurance company with operations in more than 10 Caribbean jurisdictions.
- Advised Sirio Pharma in its acquisition of Ayanda, a German healthcare product manufacturer.
- Advised China Aviation Industries General Aircraft (a subsidiary of AVIC) in its US$210 million acquisition of Cirrus, the second-largest small aircraft manufacturer in the US.
- Advised China Africa Development Fund in various acquisition projects in Africa (including mineral resources, banking, and real estate).
- Advised a Chinese industrial fund in its disposition of interest in an oil block in Central Africa.
- Advised Zynga, one of the world's largest online game providers, in the acquisition of several Asia-based game developers through equity or asset sales and joint ventures (covering such jurisdictions as Japan, South Korea and China).
- Advised China Minsheng Investment Group as lead investor in the investment in Israeli fintech company eToro.
- Advised China Great Wall Asset Management Corporation in its participation in a number of overseas financings by Chinese companies, including bridge financings in M&A projects.
- Advised major insurers (including China Life, PICC and China Re) in M&A, joint venture and SOE restructuring matters.
- Advised one of the largest Chinese state-owned airlines in entering into strategic cooperation with a major US airlines, including private placement of new shares.
- Advised a MiddleEast-based investment company in bidding for one of the largest retailers in Singapore through an auction sale process.
- Advised one of the world's largest insurance companies and investors in several transactions disposing of its Asia-related assets in the aftermath of US government bailout in 2008.
Chicago-Kent College of Law, JDwith honors
George Washington University, MA
University of International Relations, LLB
- Hong Kong
- New York