"He has an incredible understanding of the commercial points as well as the ability to focus on and draw our attention to things we may have missed, making sure that the right deal is done.."Chambers UK 2020
Martin Wright is a partner in Mayer Brown's London office and a member of the Real Estate practice. He advises domestic and overseas clients on all aspects of property investment and development. He has acted on transactions involving some of London's highest profile buildings, including the Lloyd's Building. He was one of the Lawyer’s Hot 100 in 2014. He particularly focuses on international investment and large scale urban regeneration projects including redevelopments at Canary Wharf and Silvertown London, property development such as 123/151 Buckingham Palace Road, and head office lettings, most recently 22 St James Square, and disposals throughout London.
Martin continues to advise organisations on many of our department's largest investment deals and are heavily involved with our firm's Global Asia Outbound Investment initiative, regularly travelling to China and Hong Kong to meet new and existing clients.
- Advised First Base Limited, Macquarie Capital and Chelsfield Properties Limited, on the disposal of The Silvertown Partnership LLP (TSP) to a joint venture vehicle established by Lendlease and Starwood Capital.
- Advised Hoi Hup Realty Pte Ltd on its acquisition of 322 High Holborn and 44 Southampton Buildings, London.
- Advised Xinyuan Real Estate Co., Ltd., on its acquisition from ED Jersey Limited.
- Advised Sinarmas Land on purchase 33 Horseferry Road, London.
- Advised Gaw Capital on the development works of 123/151 Buckingham Palace Road, London.
- **Noteworthy deal**
Martin negotiated the regeneration agreement for the developer (Stratford City Developments) on the site upon which Westfield Stratford City is and the 2012 London Olympics were.**
- The Silvertown Partnership, a consortium between developer Chelsfield Properties and regeneration company First Base, on an agreement to undertake a £1.5 billion redevelopment of Silvertown Quays in the docklands.
- Undisclosed purchaser on its purchase of 123/151 Buckingham Palace Road and its subsequent development for £500 million - the largest West End purchase for two years.
- DLA on their head office move to 160 Aldersgate.
- Clarkson PLC on their head office move to St Katharine Docks.
- Ho Bee Investment LTD of Singapore, on the purchase and financing of the freehold and long leasehold interests of Rose Court, 2 Southwark Bridge Road, London SE1 for £67.2 million.
- Ping An Insurance on the purchase and financing of the Lloyds Building for £260 million and of Tower Place for £330 million.
- Gaw Capital Partners on the purchase and financing of Waterside House (the M&S HQ) in the Paddington Basin for £200 million.
- SinarMas Land Limited, the Indonesian property developer, on its £84 million purchase and funding and £113 million sale of New Brook Buildings, 8-18 Great Queen Street, London.
- Gaw Capital Partners on their £150 million purchase of Vintners’ Place, a 277,270 sq ft grade A office building in the City of London.
- Cinven on the letting of Warwick Court, Paternoster Square from Goldman Sachs.
- Fleet Street Investments II, an investment vehicle controlled by members of the Qatari royal family, on the purchase of Goldman Sachs Group London headquarters Peterborough Court, for £264 million.
- Cityhold Property AB group, on its first acquisition in the UK, a 260,000 sq.ft. (net lettable area) freehold office building at 1 Kingdom Street, Paddington, London.
- Cityhold Property AB group, on its £138 million acquisition of 40 Holborn Viaduct, London, EC1 from real estate investment and advisory company Delancey’s principle client fund.
- Boston Properties on two London purchases.
King's College London
- England and Wales
- Member of the Law Society
- Member of the City of London Solicitors' Company
- Member of the City of London Law Society Land Law Committee
- Listed as a 'Leading individual' for Commercial Property. (Legal 500 2021).
- Listed as a 'Leading Individual', Martin Wright wins high praise from clients for his ability to handle complex transactions, with one saying: "He has an incredible understanding of the commercial points as well as the ability to focus on and draw our attention to things we may have missed, making sure that the right deal is done." His real estate expertise includes domestic and cross-border investments, development projects and joint venture formation. (Chambers UK 2020).
- Listed as a 'Leading Individual' for Commercial Property, Martin Wright is very adept at understanding our key commercial objectives. He is able to strike a sensible and pragmatic balance between covering the detail and ensuring our commercial property transactions progress expeditiously.' (Legal 500 2020).
- Head of real estate for Europe Martin Wright fields expertise across an array of investment and development matters, acting on behalf of both domestic and overseas clients. A client reports: "He is extremely competent and commercial. He provides good-quality advice to clients." (Chambers UK 2019).
- "Pragmatic and commercial". (Legal 500 2018).
- Ranked as a Leading Individual. Also a key figure in the team is European practice head Martin Wright, who "is a hugely safe pair of hands, with an endless depth of experience in development transactions of a large scale". (Legal 500 2017).
- Martin Wright impresses sources with his "long, successful track record of good deals," with clients revealing that you can "trust his instinct and advice implicitly." He leads the European real estate group at the firm, and is frequently called upon to act on investment and development matters for a range of international clients. (Chambers UK 2017).
- Martin Wright "really understands how overseas investment works" and draws on his experience to advise a range of clients on European property matters, as well as domestic issues. One source says: "Martin is commercially astute, experienced, and he makes good judgements, identifies the critical issues quickly and is highly responsive." (Chambers UK 2016).
- Leading individual. (Legal 500 2015).
- Martin Wright is head of European real estate. Clients say: "Martin's style is very direct. He is clear on what a client's position should be and will be diligent in achieving it, but he is commercial enough to be able to point out to his clients when they are not in the right place and he's happy to talk to his clients in detail and debate the issues." (Chambers UK 2015).
- Selected for "The Lawyer Hot 100" 2014.
- "very bright" (Chambers UK 2014).
- "top quality: a very pragmatic negotiator" and "dealmaker" (Legal 500 2013).