Michael is a partner in the Intellectual Property practice who focuses primarily on patent litigation and dispute resolution, including district court litigation, appellate practice at the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and practice before the Patent Trials and Appeals Board (PTAB). Michael also advises clients on managing and expanding their patent portfolios, and, as a registered patent attorney, Michael prosecutes critical, high-value patent applications in front of the US Patent and Trademark Office.
Michael has assisted in numerous patent litigations involving complex technologies in a variety of areas, including wireless technologies and standards, optics and displays, database systems, mass storage systems, as well as general consumer electronics, business method patents and pharmaceutical patents, as well as litigations under the Hatch-Waxman Act and investigations involving the Federal Trade Commission. He has worked with numerous high-tech and consumer electronics companies to protect their intellectual property both in the US and abroad. In addition, he has advised clients on their competitive position with respect to their patents in the fields of consumer electronics, educational systems and investment strategies and frequently advises clients with respect the freedom to operate in highly litigious areas.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2008, Michael was a Patent Agent and Technical Advisor for a large Intellectual Property law firm in Chicago. He has also worked as a research assistant for the Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory at the University of Illinois, where he researched and developed novel processes for fabricating nanoscale structures.
- Delaware Display Group LLC and Innovative Display Technologies LLC v. LG Electronics, et al., Case No. 1:13-cv-2109-RGA (D. Del.) (J. Andrews). Representing LG Electronics in a patent infringement case involving eight asserted patents directed to backlights for liquid crystal displays in televisions.
- Mondis Technology Ltd. v. LG Electronics, Inc. and LG Electronics U.S.A., Inc., Case No. 2:14-cv-00702 (E.D. Tex.)(J. Gilstrap); Case No. 2:15-cv-04431-SRC-CLW (D. Del.) (J. Chesler). Representing LG Electronics and LG Electronics U.S.A. in multi-patent litigation directed to displays. Obtained transfer of case from Eastern District of Texas to District of New Jersey.
- 511 Innovations, Inc. v. Avago Technologies, Ltd and Avago Technologies US, Inc., C.A. No. 2:15-cv-1525 (E.D. Tex.)(J. Gilstrap). Representing Avago in this action alleging infringement of United States Patent Nos. 7,110,096; 7,397,541; 8,472,102 and 8,786,844 relating to optical devices.
- Safe Storage LLC v. Emulex Corp., Case No. 1:13-cv-1150-GSM (D. Del.) (J. Sleet). Representing defendant Emulex in this action brought by Safe Storage for alleged infringement of United States Patent No. 6,978,346, entitled “Apparatus for Redundant Interconnection Between Multiple Hosts and RAID (redundant array of inexpensive disks).
- Petitions for Inter Partes Review by LG Electronics, Inc., Proceeding Nos. IPR2015-00937, IPR2015-00938, IPR2015-00940, IPR2015-00942 (Patent Trials and Appeals Board). Represented petitioner LG Electronics in IPR challenges to patents directed to backlighting for liquid crystal displays.
- DATATRAK International, Inc. v. Medidata Solutions, Inc., Case No. 1:11-cv-00458-PAG (N.D. Ohio) (Judge Patricia A. Gaughan). Represented Medidata in a patent litigation alleging infringement of a system for managing clinical trials. Obtained Rule 12 dismissal of asserted patent based on invalidity pursuant to 35 U.S.C. § 101.
- Innovative Display Technologies LLC v. Acer Inc. et al., Case No. 2:13-cv-00522-JRG (E.D. Tex.); Innovative Display Technologies LLC v. Dell, Inc., Case No. 2:13-cv-00523-JRG (E.D. Tex.); Innovative Display Technologies LLC v. Hewlett-Packard Company, Case No. 2:13-cv-00524-JRG (E.D. Tex.) (J. Gilstrap). Represented multiple computer manufacturers in this multi-patent litigation directed to backlighting for liquid crystal displays.
- Aeritas LLC v. American Airlines Inc., Case No. 1:13-cv-01320-SLR (Del.) (J. Robinson). Represented American Airlines in a multi-patent litigation involving mobile boarding pass technology.
- Parallel Iron LLC v. Google Inc., Case No. 13-cv-00367-RGA (D. Del.) (J. Andrews). Represented Google in this patent litigation involving mass data storage systems.
- Innovatio IP Ventures, LLC v. HVM LLC (d/b/a Studio Plus Deluxe Studios), Case No. 12-cv-03862) (N.D. Ill.) (J. Holderman). Represented HVM in this patent litigation involving alleged WiFi standards-essential technology.
- B.E. Technology, LLC v. Google Inc., Case No. 2:12-cv-02830 (D. Tenn.) (J. McCalla). Represented Google in this patent litigation involving methods for targeted advertising.
- TransData, Inc. v. Alabama Power Co., Case No. 2:11-cv-00635 (M.D. Ala.) (J. Thompson); TransData, Inc. v. Georgia Power Co., Case No. 5:11-cv-00305 (M.D. Ga.) (J. Treadwell); TransData, Inc. v. Mississippi Power Co., Case No. 3:11-cv-00499 (S.D. Miss.) (J. Ball); TransData, Inc. v. Wisconsin Power& Light Co., Case No. 3:11-cv-00745 (W.D. Wisconsin) (J. Crabb); TransData, Inc. Smart Meter Patent Litigation, MDL Case No. 2309 (Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation, 2011-2012). Represented utilities Alabama Power Co., Georgia Power Co., and Mississippi Power Co. in this MDL proceeding in this multi-litigation proceeding alleging infringement of three patents relating to wireless electric meters.
- Aeritas LLC v. Delta Air Lines, Inc., Case No. 11-cv-969 (D. Del.); Aeritas LLC v. US Airways, Inc., Case No. 11-cv-1267 (D. Del.) (J. Robinson). Represented Delta Air Linea and US Airways in a multi-patent litigation involving mobile boarding pass technology.
- Nxegen, LLC et al. v. Sensus USA Inc., Case No. 3:11-cv-01197-SRU (D. Conn.) (J. Underhill). Represented Sensus in this patent litigation alleging infringement of two patents relating to systems and methods for monitoring and controlling energy usage.
- Sensus USA Inc. v. Nxegen, LLC et al., Case No. 1:11-cv-01000-UNA (D. Del.) (J. Robinson). Represented Sensus in this patent litigation alleging infringement by Nxegen of two patents relating to remote instrument reading and wireless networks for data collection.
- STMicroelectronics, Inc. et al. v. Avago Technologies U.S., Inc. et al., Case No. 10-cv-5023 (N.D. CA) (J. Fogel). Represented Avago in this action claiming violations of Section 2 of the Sherman Act, Section 7 of the Clayton Act and related state law claims pertaining to optical sensors and devices containing such sensors, which are typically used in electronic devices such as cellular telephones.
- EON Corp. IP Holdings, LLC v. Sensus USA, Inc., et al. Case No. 2:10-cv-00448 (E.D. Texas) (J. Ward). settlement counsel for Sensus in this patent litigation pertaining to certain systems for remotely monitoring electric, water and gas meters.
- Avago Technologies Limited, et al. v. Robert Aigner et al., Case No. 6:10-cv-1486 (M.D. Fla.) (C.J. Conway). Represented Avago this trade secret misappropriation and copyright infringement action relating to electronic filtering devices used in cellular telephones.
- STMicroelectronics, Inc. v. Avago Technologies U.S., Inc., et al. Case No. 3:10-cv-01460-D (N.D. Texas) (C. Fitzwater). Represented Avago in this two patent litigation pertaining to semiconductor packaging and low supply voltage relaxation oscillators.
- Avago Technologies, U.S., Inc. et. al. v. STMicroelectronics, N.V. and STMicroelectronics, Inc., Case No. 6:10-cv-00092-LED (E. D. Tex.) (J. Davis). Represented the Avago entities in this five patent litigation pertaining to optical navigation products and processes.
- Kim Laube & Co., Inc. v. Wahl Clipper Corp., et al., Case No. 2:09-cv-00914 (C.D. Cal.) (J. Wright). Represented Wahl Clipper in this litigation involving claims of patent infringement, breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, and unfair competition and business practices.
- EON Corp. IP Holdings, LLC v. Sensus Metering Systems, Inc., Case No. 6:09-cv-116 (E.D. Texas) (J. Davis). Represented Sensus in this two patent litigation pertaining to certain systems for remotely monitoring electric, water and gas meters.
- Cobra Fixations CIE LTEE, et al. v. Newell Operating Co., Case No. 1:09-cv-00436 (M.D.N.C.) (J. Beaty). Represented Newell Operating Co. in this design patent litigation involving commercial mechanical products.
- TriQuint Semiconductor Inc. v. Avago Technologies Limited, Avago Technologies U.S., Inc. and Avago Technologies Wireless, IP, Case No. 09-cv-1531-PHX-JAT (D. Arizona) (J. Teilborg). Represented the Avago entities in this sixteen patent, trade secret misappropriation, copyright infringement and antitrust action pertaining to film bulk acoustic resonators - electronic devices used in cellular telephones.
- First Trust Portfolios L.P. v. Jackson National Life Insurance Co., et al., Case No. 1:08-cv-04853 (N.D. Ill.) (J. Guzman). Represented Jackson National Life Insurance and associated entities in this patent litigation involving methods for selecting securities for investment portfolios.
- Light Valve Solutions, LLC v. Dukane Corp., et al., Case No. 1:08-cv-01618-JTC (N.D. Ga.) (J. Camp). Represented Dukane Corp. in this multi-patent litigation involving digital light projection (DLP) technology, light valves, and related optical systems.
Northwestern University School of Law, JD, cum laude, Editor, Northwestern Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, MS, Electrical Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, BS, Computer Engineering
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Patent and Trademark Office