Alvin Wong is a Senior Associate in the Finance Practice based in Mayer Brown's Hong Kong office. He specialises in advising financial institutions as well as corporate borrowers on domestic and cross-border bilateral and syndicated debt financing transactions including acquisition financing, leveraged financing, real estate financing, pre-IPO financing, margin financing, intercreditor arrangements and debt restructuring.
Alvin has experience working within an in-house legal team as he was seconded to Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited for 4 months in 2015.
- Advising a leading China distressed asset management company as sponsor on the financing aspects of the acquisition of a hotel property in Tsim Sha Tsui valued at HK$6 billion, completed in September 2016.
- Advising the founder of WuXi PharmaTech on US$300 million management credit facilities relating to US$800 million leveraged buy-out facility by Ping An Bank Co., Ltd. and Shanghai Pudong Development Bank Co., Ltd. for financing the privatisation of WuXi PharmaTech from the New York Stock Exchange, the leveraged buy-out facility being the largest leveraged finance deal in Asia Pacific in 2015.
- Advising a licensed corporation in relation to HK$700.000939 million term credit facilities for financing the acquisition of the controlling stake of a Hong Kong Stock Exchange Main Board listed company as well as the mandatory general offer of shares in the listed company.
- Advising the lender in respect of HK$416 million term credit facility for financing the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of a subsidiary of a Hong Kong Main Board listed company.
- Advising the sponsor and the borrower in respect of various credit facilities in the aggregate amount of HK$980 million for financing the mandatory general offer of Forefront Group Limited (a Cayman Islands company listed on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange).
- Acting as the Hong Kong counsel to Morgan Stanley Senior Funding Inc. as facility agent in respect of US$750 million and £85 million term and revolving credit facilities for refinancing existing syndicated facilities and financing the acquisition of Hyperion Insurance Group Limited (a London-based insurance and reinsurance group).
- Acting as the Hong Kong counsel to the facility agent in respect of US$1.37 billion and €53 million term and credit financing of the acquisition of The Big Bus Company Group (a public transportation group) by a private equity group.
- Advising a PRC investment bank as facility agent and security agent in respect of HK$1.8 billion syndicated facility for the pre-IPO restructuring of a PRC chemical company, completed in January 2017.
- Advising financial institutions in respect of cornerstone investment financing in Dalian Wanda Commercial Properties Co., Ltd, the largest IPO in Hong Kong in 2014.
PRC Cross-Border Finance
- Advising offshore lenders on various cross-border RMB facilities to PRC domestic enterprises (including PRC subsidiaries of SOEs, PRC financial leasing companies and Qianhai incorporated enterprises).
- Advising an offshore facility agent in respect of a US$100 million syndicated general working capital facility to an offshore subsidiary of a PRC state-owned enterprrise backed by a guarantee granted by the PRC state-owned parent and registered with local SAFE.
PRC Real Estate Finance
- Advising a property investment fund in both onshore and offshore financing in relation to the acquisition of two office towers in Chang Feng Ecology Commercial Area, Shanghai, PRC completed in February 2016.
- Advising the onshore facility agent on re-financing of the Xintiandi project in Shanghai, PRC.
- Advising both the onshore lender and the offshore agent in respect of HK$990 million offshore club loan facility to the offshore borrower and RMB 200 million onshore bilateral fixed asset loan facility to the onshore WFOE in respect of a shopping mall in Shenyang, Liaoning Province, PRC.
- Advising an offshore lender in respect of US$150 million term facility for the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of an offshore project company directly holding a serviced apartment project in Shanghai, PRC.
- Advising an offshore lender in respect of cross-border financing to a WFOE in respect of construction of a golf course in Guangdong Province, PRC.
- Advising an offshore lender in respect of refinancing of an offshore facility in respect of a hotel project in Shenzhen, PRC.
- Advising various offshore lenders on financing, refinancing and related amendments to facilities in relation to property development projects in various cities in the PRC, including Beijing, Chongqing, Guangzhou, Jiangmen, Shanghai and Shenyang.
Other Notable Experience
- Advising a leading China distressed asset management company as lender in respect of HK$800 million term loan facility to a financial services conglomerate listed on the Main Board of Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advising a PRC state-owned enterprise as sponsor in relation to US$1.3 billion financing of the construction of 2 x 1,050MW Jawa 7 Coal Fired Power Project, Kramatwatu, Serang Regency, Banten Province, Indonesia.
- Advising a lender in relation to a US$107.231353 millions bank guarantee facility to a Hong Kong insurer for guaranteeing contingent liabilities under certain life insurance policies.
- Advising a corporate borrower on refinancing of HK$5.3 billion club term and revolving credit facilities.
- Advising a Hong Kong Main Board listed garment manufacturing company in relation to a JPY 24 billion loan facility from its majority shareholder.
- Advising an international auction house on Hong Kong banking law aspects of various auction revolving credit facilities from a US lender.
- Advising a Japanese sponsor and the related SPV borrowers on the limited recourse financing and security arrangements in respect of the construction of four LNG tankers in the PRC.
- Advising a Japanese sponsor on shareholder loan and security sharing arrangements with its joint venture partners in respect of a LNG transportation project in Indonesia.
London School of Economics and Political Science, LLB
- Hong Kong
- Law Society of Hong Kong