"[Robert] goes out of his way to see things from the client’s perspective." (2015)The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
"One of the best lawyers focused on private equity" (2014)
Robert Woll, a partner in Mayer Brown's Hong Kong office, is a member of the firm's Corporate & Securities practice and the Private Equity, Funds & Investment Management Group, focusing on fund formation and direct investment in the Asia-Pacific region.
Robert has extensive experience in Greater China, with a particular focus on all aspects of private equity, including private equity real estate. He advises clients on the formation of private equity funds, as well as related acquisitions, joint ventures, consortium arrangements, and co-investment deals and structures, and has worked on numerous cross-border, complex transactions in these areas. Robert advises both institutional sponsors and emerging managers in connection with the establishment of private funds and platforms, including deal-by-deal funds, real estate funds, infrastructure funds, growth equity funds, venture capital funds, special situations funds, and secondary funds. By working with both general partners and major investors, he maintains perspective on the key issues confronting both sides and on current market trends in terms and conditions.
Robert also counsels managers on all governance and regulatory aspects of the formation and operation of private investment funds. He has advised principals of firms in exploring strategic alternatives and regarding extraordinary events, such as "key person" events, general partner removals, spin-outs, and other significant transactions.
Over the course of his practice in Asia, Robert has gained extensive experience in advising on equity investing in China, involving a broad spectrum of PRC-based businesses. He has devoted substantial efforts to assisting China-based technology companies with venture capital financing, IPOs and M&A transactions.
Robert's working languages are English and Chinese (Mandarin). He has been recognized as a leading investment funds and private equity lawyer by IFLR1000, Chambers Asia-Pacific, Chambers Global, and Legal 500 Asia Pacific. He serves on the Technical Committee of the HKVCA and ASIFMA's China Capital Markets Committee; he is also a member of ASIFMA's Fintech Working Group. He also serves on the Board of Directors of the Stanford GSB Hong Kong Chapter and the Stanford Law School Advisory Board for Asia.
- Advised a major Asian life insurance company on a variety of substantial and anchor investor commitments to global and regional private equity funds, real estate funds and secondary funds.
- Advised a major Chinese financial institution on its investment in an aircraft co-investment vehicle formed by China Aircraft Leasing Corporation (CALC), including senior and junior debt, and involving the acquisition of a seed portfolio of aircraft.
- Advised BEI Capital on the formation of CapBEI, L.P., a private equity real estate fund focusing on opportunities in the hospitality sector and commercial real estate in global gateway cities.
- Advised CITIC Pacific Limited and VPower International on the formation of Tamar VPower Energy Fund I, L.P., a private equity fund focusing on "Belt-and-Road" energy projects, with initial sponsor commitments of US$160 million.
- Advised CITIC Pacific Limited and its subsidiary Dah Chong Hong in the establishment of Tamar Alliance Partners Fund I, L.P., a private equity fund focusing on companies in the consumer and healthcare sectors seeking expansion opportunities in Greater China and Southeast Asia, with initial sponsor commitments of US$80 million.
- Advised Dragon Capital on the structuring and establishment of an open-ended co-investment platform to invest in privatizing Vietnamese state-owned enterprises and in private placements of shares in listed and unlisted Vietnamese issuers.
- Advised Eastspring Investments, the Asian asset management business of a global life insurance company, on its cornerstone investment in Tigris Water Fund, L.P., a pan-Asian water infrastructure fund co-sponsored by Odyssey Capital and Macquarie Capital.
- Represented cleantech investment pioneer Tsing Capital in multiple fundraisings, including the establishment of China Environment Fund III, L.P., a $250 million renewable energy venture capital fund focusing on Chinese companies, and assistance in developing Tsing Capital's system to manage social and environmental functions throughout the investment process.
- Advised Peking University Founder Group and Founder Securities on the establishment of Founder China Partners I, LP, a buyout fund focusing on acquisitions of control positions in Chinese enterprises, Founder H Fund, and related joint ventures formed by Founder Group or Founder Securities.
- Represented Jade Invest in fundraisings for its investment programs, including the establishment of Jade China Value Partners, L.P. and Jade China Value Partners II, L.P., various separate accounts, sponsorship arrangements, investments in China-focused private equity funds, and co-investments.
- Advised Facing East Entertainment on an innovative film co-investment structure, with equity investors including Alpha Pictures and CatchPlay, for the co-financing and co-distribution of a slate of major motion pictures produced by New Regency Enterprises, including The Revenant.
- Advised a global bank and the individual co-founders on the sale of a China-based financial technology and software engineering company to EPAM Systems, Inc.
- Advised Noah Holdings, a wealth and asset management firm serving Chinese clients, together with Gopher Asset Management, Noah's alternative asset management business, on the establishment of numerous co-investment funds and feeder funds for investment in private equity funds and other alternative strategies.
- Advised Envision Capital in the launch of the firm and in the formation of its RMB-denominated and US Dollar private equity funds.
- Represented Rockley Group in the establishment and operation of Rockley China Fund LP, two foreign-invested venture capital enterprises formed through joint ventures with Shandong and Shanxi investment vehicles, and several portfolio investments in the technology sector in China.
- Represented SAIF Partners in numerous portfolio investments, including Perfect World Co., ATA, Eternal Asia Supply Chain, Yongxin Tongfang, NVC Lighting, and MOBI Antenna Technologies (Shenzhen) Co. Limited.
- Advised SEDCO Capital on the establishment of SEDCO Capital Partners Group Opportunities Fund, a private equity co-investment fund co-sponsored by SEDCO Capital and Partners Group AG.
- Advised SEDCO Capital on a variety of private equity fund investments and co-investments in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Advised TPG Capital on the formation of its RMB-denominated China private equity funds.
- Advised Mongolia Opportunities Partners Ltd. on the establishment of Mongolia Opportunities Fund I, a private equity fund focusing on small and medium-sized enterprises in Mongolia.
- Advised a China-based private equity manager on its sponsorship agreement with a Middle Eastern sovereign wealth fund and the sale of a minority interest to a Kuwaiti asset management firm.
Princeton University, AB
Stanford Law School, JD
- New York
- Hong Kong
- Highly Regarded Lawyer, Hong Kong - Private Equity – IFLR1000 (2018-2019)
- Leading Lawyer, Hong Kong - Private Equity – IFLR1000 (2017)
- Band 3, China - Investment Funds – Chambers Asia Pacific (2014-2016)
- Recommended Lawyer, Hong Kong - Private Equity – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2014-2015)
- “[Robert] goes out of his way to see things from the client’s perspective.” – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2015)
- “One of the best lawyers focused on private equity.” – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2014)