"Systematic, responsive." (2021)
"We are pleased with the quality of Mr Woll's work. He is great to work with and listens to our requests attentively and then addresses them effectively." (2020)
Robert Woll is a partner of Mayer Brown resident in the Hong Kong office and a member of the firm's Corporate & Securities practice and the Private Equity, Funds & Investment Management Group.
Robert has been based in Hong Kong since 1997, except for six years spent in Beijing with another international law firm. He focuses his practice on forming and advising private investment funds, including private equity funds, venture capital funds, real estate funds, infrastructure funds, co-investment funds, and secondary funds. He has also acted as legal advisor in connection with consortium and co-invest arrangements in a number of corporate and real estate acquisitions. His practice includes representing certain Asian institutional investors in their investments in private equity funds.
Robert also counsels managers on the governance and regulatory aspects of the formation and operation of private equity funds and related upper-tier arrangements. He has advised senior principals of Asia-based managers regarding strategic alternatives and events, such as GP-led restructurings, "key person" events, spin-outs, and other similar transactions.
Robert's working languages are English and Chinese (Mandarin). He has been recognized as a leading investment funds and private equity lawyer by IFLR1000, Chambers Asia-Pacific, Chambers Global, and Legal 500 Asia Pacific. He serves on the Technical Committee of the HKVCA and has written and spoken on PRC regulatory and capital markets developments. He also serves on the Board of Directors of the Stanford GSB Hong Kong Chapter and the Stanford Law School Advisory Board for Asia.
- Advised Excelsior Partners Limited in the formation of Excelsior Capital Vietnam Partners, LP, a private equity fund investing in small and medium-sized companies in Vietnam, particularly in the healthcare, education, and retail sectors, with cornerstone investors including several leading international development finance institutions.
- Advised a major Asia-based life insurance company in its substantial commitments to numerous private equity funds, real estate funds, credit funds, and secondary private equity funds.
- Advised CICC Capital in the formation of its China real estate funds and its joint venture with a PRC real estate developer.
- Advised BEI Capital in the formation of CapBEI, L.P., a global real estate fund focusing on opportunities in the hospitality sector and commercial real estate in gateway cities.
- Advised CITIC Pacific Limited and VPower International in the formation of Tamar VPower Energy Fund I, L.P., a private equity fund investing in Belt-and-Road Initiative energy projects, with initial sponsor commitments of US$160 million.
- Advised CITIC Pacific Limited and its subsidiary Dah Chong Hong in the establishment of Tamar Alliance Partners Fund I, L.P., a private equity fund focusing on companies in the consumer and healthcare sectors.
- Advised a major Chinese financial institution as an anchor investor in an aircraft co-investment vehicle formed by China Aircraft Leasing Corporation (CALC), including senior and junior debt, including the acquisition of a seed portfolio of aircraft.
- Advised Dragon Capital in the establishment of an open-ended co-investment fund to invest in privatizing Vietnamese state-owned enterprises and in private placements of shares in listed and unlisted Vietnamese issuers.
- Advised Eastspring Investments in its cornerstone investment in Tigris Water Fund, L.P., a pan-Asian water infrastructure fund co-sponsored by Odyssey Capital and Macquarie Capital.
- Advised Facing East Ltd., a film production-financing company, in its consortium arrangement with Guangdong Alpha Animation and Culture Co. and Catchplay Inc. for a multi-picture co-production and co-distribution agreement with New Regency, including The Revenant.
- Advised a PRC company in its strategic partnership with an anchor investor and fundraising for a new mobility technology fund.
- Advised a Hong Kong-listed PRC company in the formation of a corporate venture capital fund focusing on the healthcare industry.
- Advised a major US family office on its relationship with a leading PRC general partner/entrepreneur.
- Advised a global bank and the individual co-founders in the sale of a China-based financial technology and software engineering company to EPAM Systems, Inc.
- Advised cleantech investment pioneer Tsing Capital in the formation of its China Environment Funds, including the development of Tsing Capital's system to manage ESG functions throughout the investment process.
- Advised Envision Capital in the establishment of its management company and in the formation of its China growth equity funds.
- Represented Rockley Group in the formation and operation of Rockley China Fund LP, including two foreign-invested venture capital enterprises formed through joint ventures with Shandong and Shanxi investment vehicles, and in several portfolio investments in the PRC technology sector.
- Advised TPG Capital in the structuring of two RMB-denominated China private equity funds.
- Advised Jade Invest in the formation of Jade China Value Partners, L.P. and Jade China Value Partners II, L.P., primary and secondary investments in China private equity funds, managed accounts, and consortium arrangements for certain going-private transactions.
- Advised SEDCO Capital in the establishment of SEDCO Capital Partners Group Opportunities Fund, a private equity co-investment fund co-sponsored by SEDCO Capital and Partners Group AG.
- Advised SEDCO Capital as an anchor investor in several India-focused venture capital funds, including Ascent India Fund III, Gaja Capital Fund I, IDFC Private Equity Fund II, Samara Capital Partners Fund I and Ventureast SEDCO Proactive Fund LLC, and in several co-investments in China and India, including co-investments in Deepak Cables Limited and Haldia Coke and Chemicals Limited.
- Advised Noah Holdings in the establishment of numerous feeder funds for investment in private equity funds and other alternative strategies.
- Represented Cowen Inc. on the expansion of its investment banking business in China through the acquisition of Latitude Capital Group.
Princeton University, AB
Stanford Law School, JD
- New York
- Hong Kong
- Recommended, China - Investment Funds: Foreign Firms – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2021)
- Highly Regarded Lawyer, Hong Kong - Private Equity – IFLR1000 (2018-2022)
- Leading Lawyer, Hong Kong - Private Equity – IFLR1000 (2017)
- Leading Individual, China - Investment Funds – Chambers Asia Pacific (2014-2016)
- Recommended, Hong Kong - Private Equity – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2014-2015)
- "Systematic, responsive." – IFLR1000 (2021)
- "We are pleased with the quality of Mr Woll's work. He is great to work with and listens to our requests attentively and then addresses them effectively." – IFLR1000 (2020)
- "[Robert] goes out of his way to see things from the client’s perspective." – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2015)
- "One of the best lawyers focused on private equity." – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2014)