Roxanne Wilson is counsel in Mayer Brown's Los Angeles office and a member of the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice. She focuses her practice on employment matters, including the defense of employment class actions, providing advice and counsel, and conducting workplace investigations and auditing:
Roxanne defends employers in complex class action suits, including those claiming violations of California and federal wage and hour laws, and misclassification of independent contractors and exempt employees. She has achieved favorable resolution of large class actions seeking pay for training, missed meal and rest break periods, overtime, commissions, and off-the-clock work. She has successfully represented corporate clients in employment litigation involving claims of wrongful termination, sexual harassment, sexual orientation discrimination, race discrimination, age discrimination, pregnancy discrimination, discrimination on the basis of mental and physical disability, violation of wage and hour statutes, violation of family and other employee leave statutes, related intentional tort actions, violation of Sarbanes-Oxley and California whistleblower statutes, and violation of the California Confidentiality and Medical Information Act and breach of privacy.
Advice and Counseling
Roxanne advises major corporations with respect to labor and employment matters, including questions regarding wage and hour issues, exempt employees, drug and alcohol policies, reductions in force, including compliance with the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, absence and sick leave policies, compliance with the Family and Medical Leave Act, California Family Rights Act, and employment application processes, including compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act and Ban the Box statutes and ordinances.
Roxanne also provides employment due diligence advice on numerous corporate and finance transactional matters.
Roxanne has counseled and litigated on behalf of commercial and retail clients regarding accessibility claims by disabled individuals arising from the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Unruh Civil Rights Act and/or the California Disabled Persons Act. She also counsels clients on the removal of barriers and building and design modifications necessary for compliance with accessibility requirements under the ADA, the Accessibility Guidelines from the Department of Justice and the California Building Codes.
Workplace Investigations and Auditing
Roxanne has conducted high-level, confidential workplace investigations for corporate clients with respect to discrimination, sexual harassment, fraud and theft complaints, providing factual conclusions and constructive recommendations regarding disciplinary action and policy changes. She has also conducted audits for corporate clients to ensure compliance with federal and state laws and regulations governing the workplace.
Drafting, Training and Speaking
She drafts national and state employee handbooks and individual employment policies spanning a diverse range of issues, including leaves of absence, trade secret protection, drug-testing programs, and Internet and e-mail policies, in order to ensure compliance with applicable federal and state laws. She develops and conducts training seminars for clients' human resources personnel and in-house counsel and frequently speaks on employment-related topics.
Related Litigation Experience
Roxanne also has related litigation experience in pharmaceutical and products liability litigation and class action suits involving violations of federal and state consumer credit reporting statutes, Unfair Competition Law and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).
- Weiss v Lemieux Group LP, U.S.D.C., Central District of California, Case Number: 2:2012cv04585 (2012), secured a dismissal of a putative class action accusing the Pittsburgh Penguins of breaching contracts and violating the TCPA by sending more text messages than fans agreed to receive.
- Gilbert v. First Advantage Corp., U.S.D.C., Southern District of California, Case Number: 3:2009cv01650, obtained summary judgment, incurring a nominal settlement paid by third party bank of class action alleging misrepresentations by credit card enrollment services company to bank credit card customers.
Representative Reported Cases
- Aghmane v. Bank of Am., N.A., (N.D. California2014) (Granting partial summary judgment) (Co-lead counsel)
- Harris v. Vector Marketing Corp., (N.D. California 2010) (FLSA collective action certification) (Co-lead counsel)
- Harris, supra, (N.D. California 2010) (Conditional FLSA collective action certification) (Co-lead counsel)
- Harris, supra, (N.D. California 2009) (Summary judgment in wage and hour class action/collective action) (Co-lead counsel)
- Trujillo v. First American Registry, (2007) (Landmark consumer credit reporting act decision) (Co-lead counsel)
Scripps College, BA
Claremont Graduate University, MA
Loyola Law School, JD
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Assistant Vice-President (July 1, 2016 – June 30, 2017); Trustee (2015 - 2017); Executive Committee (July 1, 2016 – June 30, 2017); Section Liaison Task Force (Co-Chair, July 1, 2016 - present); Adequate State Court Funding and Operations Committee (Co-Chair July 1, 2016 - present); Judicial Appointments Committee Member, July 1, 2015 - present); Counsel for Justice Board of Directors (Director, July 1, 2016 – June 30, 2017); Shattuck-Price Award Committee (Chair, 2016); President's Advisory Committee on Women in Legal Profession (July 1, 2015 - present); Litigation Section Chair (2014-2015); Member (1980 -present)
- American Bar Association Member (1980 - present)
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel Drug, Device and Biotechnology Section (Vice-Chair, 2003 - 2011); Development & Retention Committee (Vice-Chair, 2006 - 2009); Member (1998 - present);
- International Association of Defense Counsel Member (1994 - present)
- Scripps College Board of Trustees, Chair (2004-2009); Trustee (1997-present)
- Seaver Institute Board of Directors, Director (2005 - present)
- Association of Governing Boards, Council of Board Chairs 2005 -2011
- Loyola Law School Civil Justice Program, Board of Directors 2005 - 2007
- Claremont University Consortium, Board of Overseers 2004 - 2009
- 2017 Los Angeles County Bar Association Outstanding Trustee Award
- 2016 Los Angeles County Bar Litigation Section Jim Robie Award for Professionalism and Civility
- AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell