"Rising Star"Legal 500 2021
Matt is a senior associate in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice of Mayer Brown’s London office.
Matt joined Mayer Brown as a trainee in 2008 and, since qualifying in September 2010, he has advised on contentious and non-contentious insurance matters.
His principal focus is in assisting insurers and professionals in relation to the defence of complex, high value and high profile professional indemnity claims brought by third parties. Matt has significant experience in defending a range of professionals including solicitors, surveyors, insurance brokers, pensions professionals and trustees. He has experience of High Court, Commercial Court, Administrative Court and Court of Appeal litigation and has assisted in resolving numerous claims by way of alternative dispute resolution.
Matt has advised insurers on a wide range of professional indemnity coverage issues, including avoidance and aggregation.
Matt also has experience in advising insurers in relation to political risk and trade credit coverage matters, often with multi-jurisdictional aspects, involving risks in Europe, South-East Asia, North and South America, and the Middle East.
Furthermore, Matt has advised insurers on coverage aspects of claims brought against financial institutions, both in the UK and Europe. Matt has also acted in a monitoring role in the context of a third party claim arising in the US against a large UK-based financial institution, and has advised insurers in relation to claims against financial institutions arising out of the Stanford and Madoff frauds.
Kaplan Law School, Legal Practice Course
The College of Law, London, Graduate Diploma in Law
University of York, BA (Hons) English Literature
- England and Wales
- Listed as a 'Rising star' and key lawyer for Professional Negligence (Legal 500 2022).
- Listed as a 'Rising star' and under 'Other key lawyers' for Professional Negligence. ‘Mark Stefanini and Matthew Williams are shrewd litigators who traversed delicate issues concerning confidentiality with skill’ (Legal 500 2021: Banking Litigation).
- Listed as a 'Rising Star' for Professional Negligence (Legal 500 2020).
- Listed as a Next General Lawyer and key senior associate (Legal 500 2018 - Insurance - Professional Negligence).
- Listed as a name to note and ranked as a Next Generation Lawyer (Legal 500 2017 - Insurance - Professional Negligence).